What is the difference between what the Buyers Club sells – dietary supplements – and prescription or OTC drugs?
In the United States, a dietary supplement is defined under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) as a product that is intended to supplement the diet and contains any of the following dietary ingredients: a vitamin, a mineral, an herb or other botanical (excluding tobacco), an amino acid, a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any of the above.
Dietary supplement labels may bear structure/function claims. Structure/function claims describe the role of a nutrient or dietary ingredient intended to affect normal structure or function in humans, for example, "calcium builds strong bones." In addition, they may characterize the means by which a nutrient or dietary ingredient acts to maintain such structure or function, for example, "antioxidants maintain cell integrity," or they may describe general well-being from consumption of a nutrient or dietary ingredient. If a dietary supplement label includes such a claim, it must state in a "disclaimer" that the FDA has not evaluated the claim and must also state that product is not intended to "diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease" because only a drug can legally make such a claim.
(Source: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/ LabelingNutrition/ucm2006881.htm)
If the Buyers Club focus is on supplements, then why offer a pharmacy?
We established the Life Extension Pharmacy® in 2006 to round out our offering of integrative health services and help Americans combat the high cost of prescription drugs. With its acquired industry knowledge and network of U.S. licensed wholesalers, Life Extension Pharmacy is able to obtain pharmaceuticals at greatly reduced prices and then pass much of this savings on to customers. Life Extension offers a handy walkup service for local South Florida residents, a dependable mail-order service, and online 24-hour refill service at www.LifeExtensionRx.com. A portion of prescription proceeds is donated to the Life Extension Foundation® to further scientific research and develop integrative health care therapies.
What research is the Life Extension Foundation funding?
Through grants, the Life Extension Foundation is a major contributor to advanced research aimed at discovering new therapies for slowing and reversing the aging process. The Foundation has supported medical research focused on cancer, stem cells, caloric restriction, and nanotechnology, among other topics. Funding has supported:
- A study at the University of Arkansas Medical Center to study the effects of a generic compound called dichloroacetate (DCA) against lymphoma and triple-negative breast cancer cells when used in conjunction with conventional chemotherapy drug combinations.
- The research of Michael West, Ph.D., at BioTime, an emerging biotechnology company, for the applications of embryonic stem cell technology to the slowing and reversing of aging and age-related diseases.
- Research into caloric restriction as a way to reverse aging or postpone aging’s degenerative effects through BioMarker Pharmaceuticals of California.
- Research by Nanofactory Corporation to invent medical nanotechnology tools.
- Donation of Life Extension omega-3 and selenium supplements for a clinical study on alcohol-induced pancreatitis conducted by researchers at the ReGenera Research Group, Milan, Italy, the University of Santo Tomas, Manila, The Philippines, and the Seyukai Medical Institute & Clinic, Nagoya, Japan.
About Life Extension Products:
What are Life Extension's quality control standards?
Life Extension uses only premium-quality vitamins and other ingredients. We focus on three specific areas to insure products of the highest quality:
- Raw Materials: We use active ingredients selected through the highest standards of material validation using sophisticated analytical methods chemistry (e.g. high-performance liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry) and rigorous quality control procedures.
- Scientifically Validated Ingredient Efficacy: We use ingredients and dosing that reflect successful results obtained in scientific studies.
- Manufacturing: We are in strict compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) for manufacturing, packaging, and storage.
How many products do you sell and what are your best sellers?
We offer 350 products varying from vitamins, supplements, and hormones to proprietary formulations to combat age-related conditions. Our best-selling items include CoQ10, fish oil, the anti-aging formulation Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer (MEO) with BioPQQ™, Super Bio-Curcumin®, prostate health supplements, reseveratrol, the brain support supplement Cognitex®, the Life Extension Mix™ Multi-Nutrient Formula multivitamin, eye support with zeaxanthin as its key ingredient, and weight-management products including the only certified form of African-sourced Irvingia gabonensis seed extract.
What’s a basic vitamin or supplement regime people should take?
Multivitamin supplements are the foundation of a nutritional supplementation program. Taking a high potency multivitamin supplement is an efficient way to get the nutrients you need in one product. We have identified the optimal intake at higher potencies of over 90 different critical nutrients for optimal health in the convenience of one product, and we continually evolve the product every year based upon the most recent scientific research. We also recognize the great importance of calcium supplements such as Life Extension’s Bone Restore. Men, and women under 35 years of age, need 1,000 mg calcium; women over 35 need at least 1,200 mg of calcium per day. Consider the comprehensive Life Extension Mix™ multi-nutrient or the high potency Life Extension Two-Per-Day Tablets, plus calcium supplements as a very basic nutritional regime. In addition, we also recommend a wide variety of additional products based upon scientific studies to maintain optimal health as we age: antioxidants such as coenzyme Q10, vitamin E, lipoic acid; omega-3 fish oil and low-dose aspirin (if appropriate) for cardiovascular health. The Life Extension Health Advisor line is offered free to members and customers to assist with personalizing an optimal supplement regimen based on a person’s particular health status.
Life Extension Customer Support:
Why do you offer consumers such an extensive amount of health and medical information, much of which is free?
The key to staying health today is knowledge. Our business is all about educating people to better empower them about their health care choices. We do this in a variety of ways:
- Our website: www.lef.org — The Life Extension Foundation® constantly maintains and updates this valuable resource of free health-related information. Access to articles, research, products, and a community forum exist on the multi-faceted site.
- Life Extension Annual Directory — This quick and easy reference provides a complete listing of the most important supplements that may be used to maintain or regain health along with a clear explanation of their benefits.
- Disease Prevention and Treatment reference book — Available to Life Extension Foundation members or for sale on lef.org, this 1,406-page health reference book, now in its fifth edition, contains integrative methods that blend the best of conventional medicine with nutritional and natural support for 130 different medical disorders. Note: the latest health protocols are free online at www.lef.org.
- Life Extension Magazine® — With a readership of over 350,000, the monthly Life Extension Magazine is the premier anti-aging publication in the world. Every month this 100-plus page periodical provides up-to-date coverage of the latest scientific and medical breakthroughs from around the globe. A yearly subscription is free to Life Extension Foundation members; single copies are available in select retail outlets.
- Health Advisor Service — One of the greatest benefits of Life Extension Foundation membership is access to its highly knowledgeable staff of wellness specialists known as health advisors. Comprised of medical doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers, and other health care professionals, Life Extension’s health advisors are available 365 days per year to answer health-related questions. Information provided by Life Extension may help you and your doctor make more-informed choices about treatment options. Health advisors are available at 1-800-226-2370.
- Life Extension’s Social Media Channels — Our social media channels, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, provide interactive and informative content to the public. Visit www.Twitter.com/LifeExtension, www.Facebook.com/LifeExtension and www.YouTube.com/LifeExtension to follow, “like” or subscribe.
How does your customer support differ from competitors?
Most supplement companies only sell products, providing minimal information even on their own offerings. But that’s not the case at Life Extension, which fully supports members with trained professionals who know their research and are committed to helping aging humans achieve an optimal health maintenance program. Life Extension employs sales representatives, health advisors, and member service representatives. For questions concerning product ingredients and features, which products to order and how to take them, and the optimal program for health concerns, call 1-800-226-2370 to speak with a health advisor. In addition, we embrace a simple, liberal return policy: If you are dissatisfied in any way, return your purchase within 12 months of the purchase date and we will replace the product or credit your account.
Why should I join the Life Extension Foundation?
There are many benefits to membership, including:
- Discount of 25% to 50% on all supplement purchases.
- A yearly subscription to our Life Extension Magazine.
- Hardcover Disease Prevention and Treatment reference book.
- Access to qualified health advisors via a toll-free phone line.
Membership fees as well as a portion of product sales go to fund anti-aging medical research.
Life Extension Media Contact:
Director of Public Relations