Piracetam is the original nootropic, and remains the most popular cognitive enhancer for general use. It is a derivative of the neurotransmitter GABA and is a good foundation for any cognitive enhancement regimen due to the broad range of positive effects on brain function as well as cardiovascular health. Piracetam can be used by people of all age ranges and has been studied in a wide variety of health conditions.
Piracetam positively supports healthy cognitive and cardiovascular functioning by a multifaceted means of action. Approved and used since 1970s worldwide (Europe, Asia, and South American) for various health conditions, Piracetam is recommended by many healthcare professionals and health organizations, such as Life Extension.
- Piracetam enhances brain metabolism by increasing glucose utilization, blood and oxygen flow (boosts energy and cerebral circulation).
- Piracetam increases cerebral phospholipids and cellular membrane fluidity (supports healthy neuron communication and structure).
- Piracetam supports cognitive receptors (strengthens neurotransmitter receptors involved in memory and neuroprotection).
- Piracetam stimulates the corpus callosum, an area of the brain that controls communication between the left and right hemispheres, and increases communication between both hemispheres (involved in speech and creative thinking).
- Piracetam stimulates the locus coeruleus (specialized neurons involved in information processing, attention, cortical/behavioral arousal, learning and memory).
- Piracetam helps inhibit platelet aggregation (supports healthy blood flow).
- Use of Piracetam positively effects neuroelectrical functioning.
- Has a significant antioxidant effect.