Our diet has changed dramatically over the past ten thousands years, but our genetic blueprint has not--our bodies are not designed to process the types of food we are fed today. It's like putting diesel fuel into a regular car--it just won't work. And making matters worse is the fact that diets don't work either: less than 6 percent of weight loss attempts succeed. The average person who goes on a diet actually gains five pounds.
But a medical revolution is under way, finally showing us precisely how the powerful forces that keep weight on can actually be reprogrammed to automatically burn fat and keep weight off for good.
The concept is simple. By learning how to work with our bodies instead of against them, we can ignite the natural fat burning furnaces that lie dormant within us.
For the first time ever, Dr Mark Hyman makes this new science of weight loss available to the general public. This medical revolution is based on a ground-breaking concept called nutrigenomics--the science of how food talks to our genes.
This science is actually startlingly simple. Food contains information and instructions for our bodies--eat the right foods and send instructions of weight loss and health; eat the wrong foods and send messages of weight gain and disease.
After spending the last ten years conducting pioneering hands-on research with over two thousand patients at Canyon Ranch, one of the world's leading health resorts, Dr Hyman has discovered the seven fundamental causes of obesity. While fad diets have identified one or two of these causes, never before have they all been integrated into a single, simple plan for automatic weight loss--this is the promise of UltraMetabolism.
UltraMetabolism is an easy-to-follow eight-week plan to help you lose weight based on your own unique genetic needs. Since each of our bodies is different and may require more or less of certain nutrients to awaken our fat-burning DNA, Dr. Hyman shows you exactly how to customize the program for your own particular needs. The program includes menus, recipes, and shopping lists, as well as recommendations for supplements and exercise and lifestyle treatments designed to create a healthy metabolism -- an UltraMetabolism -- permanent weight loss, and lifelong health.
Based on the cutting-edge science of nutragenomics--the science of how food talks to our genes--UltraMetabolism promises to reprogram your body to automatically lose weight by turning on the messages of weight loss and health and turning off the messages of weight gain and disease. Inside you'll discover:
- Why you actually need to eat carbs to lose weight. Nearly all modern diets get this one point wrong.
- What two evil substances found in many foods might be sabotaging your weight-loss efforts and how you can easily avoid them.
- Why your body is designed to gain weight and what you can do to reprogram it to burn fat.
- How several simple tests can pinpoint what's causing your-loss attempts to fail and what steps you can take to conquer the problems.
- Why eating less and exercisng more can actually make you fat!
- How to control your appetite and feel full without counting carbs, fat or calories.
- How to turbocharge your metabolic furnace to burn extra fat while you sleep--do this one thing wrong and you'll actually force your body to pile on extra fat instead.
- Why one special food could be your missing link to losing weight and why 95 percent of people don't get enough of it.
Mark Hyman, MD, is the editor in chief of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, the most prestigious journal in the field of integrative medicine. After ten years as co-medical director at Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires, he is now in private practice in Lenox, Massachusetts. He is the coauthor of the New York Times bestseller Ultraprevention.