Lactate Dehydrogenase (LD) Isoenzymes
Item Catalog Number: LC001842
Lactate dehydrogenase (LD) is an enzyme that is found in almost all of the body's cells, but only a small amount of it is usually detectable in the blood. LD is released from the cells into the bloodstream when cells are damaged or destroyed. Because of this, the LD test can be used as a general marker of injury to cells.
LD Isoenzymes are slightly different molecular versions of the LD enzyme.
Although there is some overlap, each of the five LD isoenzymes tends to be concentrated in specific body tissues. In general, the isoenzyme locations are as follows:
- LD-1: heart, red cells, kidney
- LD-2: heart, red blood cells, kidney (lesser amounts than LD-1)
- LD-3: lungs and other tissues
- LD-4: white blood cells, lymph nodes, muscle, liver (lesser amounts than LD-5)
- LD-5: liver, skeletal muscle
This test measures total serum LD and relative percentage of isoenzymes (LD1-5)
Fasting is not required. Take all medications as prescribed.