Life Extension Final Clerance Sale

Products

Ionized Calcium

Item# LC004804

UNITS NON‑MEMBERS MEMBERS (not a member?)
1

Retail price

$136.00 each

Save 25%

$102.00 each

Ionized Calcium

Item Catalog Number: LC004804

Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body. Bones and teeth house 99% of the calcium in the body, while the remaining 1% is distributed in other areas. Calcium is best known for its role in maintaining the strength and density of bones. 

Calcium also plays a role in many physiological activities not related to bones including blood clotting, nerve conduction, muscle contraction, regulation of enzyme activity, and cell membrane function. Because these activities are essential to life, calcium is the most closely regulated element in our bodies. In fact, calcium is the ONLY mineral that has its own regulatory system (the parathyroid glands). Parathyroid glands control how much calcium is in our bones, and how much calcium is in our blood.

Total calcium remains the first line test for evaluation of calcium abnormality and is found in all Life Extension panels containing the Chemistry/CBC profile (LC381822).

Ionized calcium is the form of calcium that is free or unbound to serum protein (mainly albumin). Measurement of ionized calcium provides additional insight if you have signs of kidney or parathyroid disease. It is also used when you have certain conditions that alter your levels of albumin including malnutrition.

Fasting for 6 hours prior to the blood draw is required; however please make sure you drink water in order to stay hydrated. Take all medications as prescribed.