Comprehensive Glucose, Insulin Resistance and VAP® Cholesterol Panel
Item Catalog Number: LC100015
The combination of diabetes and obesity—now termed “diabesity” by some experts—is the largest epidemic the world has ever faced.1 By some estimates, the total number of individuals with obesity-induced diabetes will escalate to 366 million worldwide by 2030.2
“Diabesity” is a comprehensive term used to describe the continuum from optimal blood sugar balance to insulin resistance and diabetes. Many people who are overweight already have pre-diabetes. They just don’t know it! Even worse, though the word “diabesity” is made up of the concepts of “obesity” and “diabetes,” even those who aren’t overweight can have this problem.
This panel is the most comprehensive “diabesity” panel offered by Life Extension and contains the following tests to evaluate insulin resistance, long term blood sugar control and cardiac risk.
- LC804500: VAP® – Advanced Cholesterol Test
- LC090365: Glucose Tolerance (4 spec)
- LC147074: Insulin, 4 spec
- LC001453: Hemoglobin A1C
How to prepare for this test:
- Eat a regular diet that includes carbohydrates daily for three days prior to the test.
- Fast for at least 8 hours but not more than 14 hours the night before the test (make sure you drink water in order not to get dehydrated)
- Take all medications as prescribed by your physician but do not take your supplements the morning of the blood draw.
What can I expect when I get to the lab?
A total of 4 blood glucose and 4 insulin specimens will be drawn as follows:
- A fasting glucose and insulin level will be drawn.
- A drink containing 75 grams of glucose will be given to you to drink.
- 3 Additional glucose and insulin levels will be drawn at 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours after the drink has been administered.
- You will need to remain at the draw facility and seated throughout the entire test. Please bring a book or other quiet activity to keep yourself occupied while you are waiting.