Betaine is a substance derived from plant sources that is part of the methyl group of substances that turns the potentially dangerous amino acid, homocysteine, into the beneficial amino acid methionine. Methylation decreases with age, which means that homocysteine levels will increase leading to increased risk of developing arthritis, cancer, depression, and heart disease. Health benefits related to betaine include decreased risk of depression, Alzheimer's, heart disease and certain cancers.
Dietary Sources: Beets, broccoli, and spinach.
Dosage: Up to 300 mg per day.
TMG research reveals the following:
1. Prevents homocysteine levels from rising
2. Decreases the amount of fat tissue
3. Used to treat homocystinuria
4. Improves neurological development in homocystinuria
5. Will improve homocystinuria that is not responsive to pyridoxine
6. Improves dry mouth
7. Increases levels of hepatic S-adenosylmethionine
8. Prevents ethanol –related fatty liver
9. Contributes to fat degeneration (steatosis)
10. Reduces liver triglycerides levels
11. Reduces liver lipidosis
12. Used in treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis
13. Reduces cholesterol
14. Reduces beta-lipoproteins
15. Decreases seizures
16. Decreases incidence of death from seizure
17. May be an effective antimicrobial
Trimethylglycine Abstracts (35)