Blood Testing References
Disease Prevention and Treatment, 5th edition
The references on this page correspond with the print version of Disease Prevention and Treatment, 5th edition. Since we continuously update the protocols online in response to new scientific developments, readers are encouraged to review the latest versions of the protocols.
- Lazarou J, Pomeranz BH, et al. Incidence of adverse drug reactions in hospitalized patients: A meta-analysis of prospective studies. JAMA. 1998 Apr 15;279(15):1200–5.
- Dayan CM, Saravanan P, et al. Whose normal thyroid function is better—yours or mine? Lancet. 2002 Aug 3;360(9330):353.
- Vanderpump MP, Tunbridge WM, et al. The incidence of thyroid disorders in the community: A twenty-year follow-up of the Whickham Survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1995 Jul;43(1):55–68.
- Hak AE, Pols HA, et al. Subclinical hypothyroidism is an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction in elderly women: The Rotterdam Study. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Feb 15;132(4):270–8.
- Michalopoulou G, Alevizaki M, et al. High serum cholesterol levels in persons with ‘high-normal’ TSH levels: Should one extend the definition of subclinical hypothyroidism? Eur J Endocrinol. 1998 Feb;138(2):141–5.
- Pollock MA, Sturrock A, et al. Thyroxine treatment in patients with symptoms of hypothyroidism but thyroid function tests within the reference range: Randomised double blind placebo controlled crossover trial. BMJ. 2001 Oct 20;323(7318):891–5.
- American Family Physician: Goals for Lowering Your Cholesterol. Leawood, KS: American Academy of Family Physicians; 2001. Available at: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_2_63/ai_68974579. Accessed July 2006.
- ADVANCEDATA. Vital & Health Statistics/The National Center for Health Statistics/U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare/Public Health Service. 1977. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad007acc.pdf. Accessed July 2006.
- Hansson L, Zanchetti A, et al. Effects of intensive blood-pressure lowering and low-dose aspirin in patients with hypertension: Principal results of the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) randomised trial. HOT Study Group. Lancet. 1998 Jun 13;351(9118):1755–62.
- Shippen E. The Testosterone Syndrome. New York: M. Evans; 2001:116.
- Tan RS, Pu SJ. The andropause and memory loss: Is there a link between androgen decline and dementia in the aging male? Asian J Androl. 2001 Sep;3(3):169–74.
- Janowsky JS, Chavez B, et al. Sex steroids modify working memory. J Cogn Neurosci. 2000 May;12(3):407–14.
- Barrett-Connor E, Von Muhlen DG, et al. Bioavailable testosterone and depressed mood in older men: The Rancho Bernardo Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999 Feb;84(2):573–7.
- Rabkin JG, Wagner GJ, et al. Testosterone therapy for human immunodeficiency virus-positive men with and without hypogonadism. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1999 Feb;19(1):19–27.
- Schweiger U, Deuschle M, et al. Testosterone, gonadotropin, and cortisol secretion in male patients with major depression. Psychosom Med. 1999 May;61(3):292–6.
- Seidman SN, Walsh BT. Testosterone and depression in aging men. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1999;7(1):18–33.
- Shackman J, Super T. New York: Simon & Schuster/Fireside; 1999:43–4.
- Wright JV. Maximize Your Vitality & Potency. Petaluma, CA: Smart Publications; 1999:146–7.
- Gooren LJ. Endocrine aspects of ageing in the male. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1998 Oct 25;145(1-2):153–9.
- Gelfand MM, Wiita B. Androgen and estrogen-androgen hormone replacement therapy: A review of the safety literature, 1941 to 1996. Clin Ther. 1997 May;19(3):383–404.
- Phillips GB, Pinkernell BH, et al. The association of hypotestosteronemia with coronary artery disease in men. Arterioscler Thromb. 1994 May;14(5):701–6.
- Tenover JS. Effects of testosterone supplementation in the aging male. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992 Oct;75(4):1092–8.
- Morales A, Bella AJ, Chun S, et al. A practical guide to diagnosis, management and treatment of testosterone deficiency for Canadian physicians. Can Urol Assoc J. 2010 Aug;4(4):269-75.
- Manni A, Pardridge WM, Cefalu W, et al. Bioavailability of albumin-bound testosterone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1985;61:705.