What you can say to your Representative & Senators
Refer to this helpful guide when calling Members of Congress to express opposition to the FDA's Draft Guidance for Industry: Dietary Supplements: New Dietary Ingredients Notification and Related Issues.
- My name is [Name] and I am a constituent of [Representative's name].
- I am very concerned about the new FDA draft guidance on dietary supplements and new dietary ingredients.
- I request that Congress direct the FDA to carefully review their draft guidance, and unless they amend the guidance to reflect my concerns, to call hearings at the end of the review process.
- When the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act was passed, Congress intended there be a simple notification system for new supplements. But now the FDA is turning it into a pre-approval scheme—one that Congress never intended. This will reduce the number of supplements sold and increase the cost of those that remain.
- I am simply asking that the FDA honor Congressional intent and protect my access to the supplements I depend on to stay healthy.
Mention at least one of the following points on your call:
- Congress recognized that dietary supplements are natural ingredients and therefore inherently safer than drugs and chemical food additives. It did not intend that the FDA would have the power to approve or reject dietary supplements.
- The FDA's draft guidance creates unnecessary regulations that limit my access to the dietary supplements I rely on. The expensive and burdensome process will force between 20,000 and 42,000 dietary supplements to be removed from the market and will increase the cost of those supplements that remain.
- The draft guidance hurts our economy. Expert analyses show that this guidance will cause a total economic loss of $21.2 billion to $39.8 billion annually.
- Please keep close watch of the FDA to stop them from defying Congressional intent with their new draft guidance.
- Thank you for your time.
- Be courteous and respectful.
- Keep your comments brief and focused on the facts.
- Always thank the staff member for their time taking your call.
Phone Numbers to Call