1. Lenfant C. Shattuck lecture—clinical research to clinical practice—lost in translat- ion? N Engl J Med. 2003 Aug 28;349(9):868-74.
2. National Registry of Myocardial Infarction. NMRI 4 quarterly data report 2002. South San Francisco, Calif.: Genentech, 2002.
3. [No authors listed] The beta-blocker heart attack trial. beta-Blocker Heart Attack Study Group. JAMA. 1981 Nov 6;246(18):2073-4.
4. The state of managed care quality. Washington, D.C.: National Committee for Quality Assurance, 1997.
5. Kazman, S. 1990. Deadly Overcaution. Journal of Regulation and Social Costs 1, no. 1: 35–54.
6. Gieringer, D. H. 1984. Consumer Choice and FDA Drug Regulation. Ph.D. diss., Department of Engineering-Economic Systems, Stanford University.
7. The state of managed care quality. Washington, D.C.: National Committee for Quality Assurance, 1999.
8. Awtry EH, Loscalzo J. Aspirin. Circulation. 2000 Mar 14;101(10):1206-18.
9. Stafford RS, Radley DC. The underutiliza tion of cardiac medications of proven bene fit, 1990 to 2002. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003 Jan 1;41(1):56-61.
10. Prevention of atherosclerosis and heart dis- ease. Anti-Aging News Spet. 1983:101-103
11. Galuska DA, Will JC, Serdula MK, Ford ES. Are health care professionals advising obese patients to lose weight? JAMA 1999;282(16):1576-1578.
12. Salomaa V, Ketonen M, Koukkunen H, et al. Decline in out-of-hospital coronary heart disease deaths has contributed the main part to the overall decline in coronary heart dis ease mortality rates among persons 35 to 64 years of age in Finland: the FINAMI study. Circulation. 2003 Aug 12;108(6):691-6. Epub 2003 Jul 28.
13. McGovern PG, Jacobs DR Jr, Shahar E, et al. Trends in acute coronary heart disease mortality, morbidity, and medical care from 1985 through 1997: the Minnesota heart sur vey. Circulation. 2001 Jul 3;104(1):19-24.
14. Rosamond WD, Chambless LE, Folsom AR, et al. Trends in the incidence of myocardial infarction and in mortality due to coronary heart disease, 1987 to 1994. N Engl J Med. 1998 Sep 24;339(13):861-7.
15. Trends in ischemic heart disease deaths — United States, 1990-1994. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1997;46:146-150.[Medline]
16. Gaddi A, Cicero AF, Nascetti S, Poli A, Inzitari D. Cerebrovascular disease in Italy and Europe: it is necessary to prevent a ‘pan demia’. Gerontology. 2003 Mar- Apr;49(2):69-79.
17. Gaddi A, Cicero AF, Poli A, Nascetti S, Inzitari D. Cerebrovascular disease in Italy and Europe: it is necessary to prevent a ‘pan demia’. J Cardiovasc Risk. 2002 Jun;9(3):143-5.
18. Mazza A, Pessina AC, Pavei A, Scarpa R, Tikhonoff V, Casiglia E. Predictors of stroke mortality in elderly people from the general population. The Cardiovascular Study in the Elderly. Eur J Epidemiol. 2001;17(12):1097-104.
19. Dalal PM. Strokes in the elderly: prevalence, risk factors & the strategies for prevention. Indian J Med Res. 1997 Oct;106:325-32.
20. La Rosa F, Celani MG, Duca E, Righetti E, Saltalamacchia G, Ricci S. Stroke care in the next decades: a projection derived from a community-based study in Umbria, Italy. Eur J Epidemiol. 1993 Mar;9(2):151-4.
21. Raso AM, Bello Silva MA, Viora T, et al. The clinical and socioeconomic aspects of cerebrovascular diseases in Europe (a study in Turin on patients during 12 years of hospi talization). Angiologia. 1992 May- Jun;44(3):113-21.
22. Baker DW, Einstadter D, Thomas C, Cebul RD. Mortality trends for 23,505 Medicare patients hospitalized with heart failure in Northeast Ohio, 1991 to 1997. Am Heart J. 2003 Aug;146(2):258-64.
23. Ng TP, Niti M. Trends and ethnic differences in hospital admissions and mortality for con gestive heart failure in the elderly in Singapore, 1991 to 1998. Heart. 2003 Aug;89(8):865-70.
24. Johansen H, Strauss B, Arnold JM, Moe G, Liu P. On the rise: The current and project ed future burden of congestive heart failure hospitalization in Canada. Can J Cardiol. 2003 Mar 31;19(4):430-5.
25. Stewart S, MacIntyre K, Capewell S, McMurray JJ. Heart failure and the aging population: an increasing burden in the 21st century? Heart. 2003 Jan;89(1):49-53.
26. Wee CC, McCarthy EP, David RB, Phillips RS. Physician counseling about exercise. JAMA 1999;282:1583-1588.
27. Califf RM, DeLong ER, Ostbye T, et al. Underuse of aspirin in a referral population with documented coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2002;89:653-661.
28. Lee JY, Kusek JW, Greene PG, et al. Assessing medication adherence by pill count and electronic monitoring in the African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension (AASK) Pilot Study. Am J Hypertens 1996;9:719-725.
29. Reaven Gerald, Strom Terry, Fox Barry: Syndrome X: Overcoming The Silent Killer That Can give You A heart Attack. New York, New York. Simon & Schuster.2000.
30. Cushman WC, Ford CE, Cutler JA, et al. Success and predictors of blood pressure control in diverse North American settings: the Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT). J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2002;4:393-405.
31. Kent Saul. BioMarker Pharmaceuticals Develops Anti-Aging Therapy. Life Extension magazine June 2003. http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003/2003_preprint_bio_01.html.
32. Bridging the Gap Between Science & Medicine. Life Extension magazine July 2003. http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003/jul2003_cover_book_01.html.