1. Caufield C. Multiple Exposures: Chronicles of the Radiation Age. New York, NY: Harper & Row; 1989.
2. Kevies BH. Naked to the Bone: Medical Imaging in the Twentieth Century. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press; 1997.
3. Ron E. Ionizing radiation and cancer risk: evidence from epidemiology. Radiat Res. 1998 Nov;150(5 Suppl):S30-41.
4. American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Environmental Health. Risk of ionizing radiation exposure to children: a subject review. Pediatrics. 1998;101(4):717-9.
5. Hildreth NG, Shore RE, Dvoretsky PM. The risk of breast cancer after irradiation of the thymus in infancy. N Engl J Med. 1989 Nov 9;321(19):1281-4.
6. Hoffman DA, Lonstein JE, Morin MM, Visscher W, Harris BS 3rd, Boice JD Jr. Breast cancer in women with scoliosis exposed to multiple diagnostic x-rays. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1989 Sep 6;81(17):1307-12.
7. National Research Council, Committee on the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation. Health Effects of Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 1990.
8. Gofman JW. Radiation from Medical Proce- dures in the Pathogenesis of Cancer and Ischemic Heart Disease: Dose-Response Studies with Physicians per 100,000 Population. San Francisco, CA: Committee for Nuclear Responsibility, Inc.; 1999.
9. Williams GR, Jiang JG, Matchar DB, Samsa GP. Incidence and occurrence of total (first- ever and recurrent) stroke. Stroke. 1999 Dec;30(12):2523-8.
10. Hoyert DL, Kochanek KD, et al. Deaths: Final Data for 1997. National Vital Statistics Reports; Vol. 47, No. 19. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 1999.
11. Centers for Disease Control. Cardiovascular Disease Surveillance, Stroke, 1980-89. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control; 1994:69.
12. O’Leary DH, Polak JF, Kronmal RA, Manolio TA, Burke GL, Wolfson SK Jr. Carotid artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults. Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med. 1999 Jan 7;340(1):14-22.
13. Oliviero U, Orefice G, Coppola G, et al. Carotid atherosclerosis and ischemic stroke in young patients. Int Angiol. 2002 Jun;21(2):117-22.
14. Anzola GP, Zavarize P, Morandi E, Rozzini L, Parrinello G. Transcranial Doppler and risk of recurrence in patients with stroke and patent foramen ovale. Eur J Neurol. 2003 Mar;10(2):129-35.
15. Hermes P. The importance of Doppler stud- ies in asymptomatic intracranial and extracranial arterial disease. Keio J Med. 2002 Dec;51(4):189-92.
16. Breastcancer.org. Combining mammogra- phy and ultrasound improves breast cancer detection. May 2001. Available at: http://www.breastcancer.org/research_screening_050001.html. Accessed December 24, 2003.
17. Crystal P, Strano SD, Shcharynski S, Koretz MJ. Using sonography to screen women with mammographically dense breasts. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003 Jul;181(1):177-82.
18. DePriest PD, Gallion HH, Pavlik EJ, Kryscio RJ, van Nagell JR Jr. Transvaginal ultra- sonography as a screening method for the detection of early ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 1997 Jun;65(3):408-14.
19. Quill DS, Colgan MP, Sumner DS. Ultrasonic screening for the detection of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Surg Clin North Am. 1989 Aug;69(4):713-20.