1. Ames BN. A role for supplements in optimizing health: the metabolic tune-up. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004 Mar 1;423(1):227-34.
2. Zittoun J. Anemias due to disorder of folate, vitamin B12 and transcobalamin metabolism. Rev Prat. 1993 Jun 1;43(11):1358-63.
3. The American Heart Association. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics–2004 Update. Available at: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1928. Accessed December 22, 2004.
4. Hayden MR, Tyagi SC. Homocysteine and reactive oxygen species in metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and atheroscleropathy: The pleiotropic effects of folate supplementation. Nutr J. 2004 May 10;3(1):4.
5. Cuevas AM, Germain AM. Diet and endothelial function. Biol Res. 2004;37(2):225-30.
6. Sattar N. Inflamamtion and endothelial dysfunction: intimate companions in the pathogenesis of vascular disease? Clin Sci (Lond). 2004 May;106(5):443-5.
7. Spieker LE, Hurlimann D, Ruschitzka F, et al. Mental stress induces prolonged endothelial dysfunction via endothelin-A receptors. Circulation. 2002 Jun 18;105(24):2817-20.
8. Tyagi SC. Homocyst(e)ine and heart disease: pathophysiology of extracellular matrix. Clin Exp Hypertens. 1999 Apr;21(3):181-98.
9. Doshi S, McDowell I, Moat S, Lewis M, Goodfellow J. Folate improves endothelial function in patients with coronary heart disease. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2003 Nov;41(11):1505-12.
10. Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. Dietary reference intakes: folate, other B vitamins, and choline. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; April 7, 1998.
11. 44th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention featuring the LJ Filer Symposium on Prevention of Overweight and its Consequences Beginning in Youth. San Francisco, CA. March 2004.
12. Neal B, MacMahon S, Ohkubo T, Tonkin A, Wilcken D. Dose-dependent effects of folic acid on plasma homocysteine in a randomized trial conducted among 723 individuals with coronary heart disease. Eur Heart J. 2002 Oct;23(19):1509-15.
13. Doshi SN, Moat SJ, Lewis MJ, et al. Short- term high-dose folic acid does not alter markers of endothelial cell damage in patients with coronary heart disease. Int J Cardiol. 2004 Apr;94(2-3):203-7.
14. O’Grady HL, Leahy A, McCormick PH, et al. Oral folic acid improves endothelial dysfunction in cigarette smokers. J Surg Res. 2002 Aug;106(2):342-5.
15. Willems FF, Aengevaeren WR, Boers GH, Blom HJ, Verheugt FW. Coronary endothelial function in hyperhomocysteinemia: improvement after treatment with folic acid and cobalamin in patients with coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002 Aug 21;40(4):766-72.
16. Chambers JC, Ueland PM, Obeid OA, et al. Improved vascular endothelial function after oral B vitamins: An effect mediated through reduced concentrations of free plasma homocysteine. Circulation. 2000 Nov 14;102(20):2479-83.
17. Moat SJ, Doshi SN, Lang D, et al. Treat ment of coronary heart disease with folic acid: is there a future? Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004 Jul;287(1):H1-H7.
18. Life Extension interview with Malcolm J. Lewis, MD, professor of cardiovascular pharmacology and deputy head of the Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology at Cardiff University, Wales, UK. December 2004.
19. Moat SJ, Lang D, McDowell IF, et al. Folate, homocysteine, endothelial function and cardiovascular disease. J Nutr Biochem. 2004 Feb;15(2):64-79.
20. Assies J, Lok A, Bockting CL, et al. Fatty acids and homocysteine levels in patients with recurrent depression: an explorative pilot study. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2004 Apr;70(4):349-56.
21. Herbert V. Experimental nutritional folate deficiency in man. Trans Assoc Am Physicians. 1962;75:307-20.
22. Anon. Nutrition classics. Transactions of the Association of American Physicians, 1962;75: 307-20. Herbert V. Experimental nutritional folate deficiency in man. Nutr Rev. 1982 Aug;40(8):246-8.
23. Available at: http://naturalhealthline.com/newsletter/15dec02/herbert.htm. Accessed January 3, 2005.
24. Hendler SS, Rorvik D, eds. PDR for Nutritional Supplements, 1st ed. Montvale, NJ: Thomson PDR; 2001:410-4.
25. Alpert JE, Fava M. Nutrition and depression: the role of folate. Nutr Rev. 1997 May;55(5):145-9.
26. Bjelland I, Tell GS, Vollset SE, Refsum H, Ueland PM. Folate, vitamin B12, homocysteine, and the MTHFR 677C-:T polymorphism in anxiety and depression: the Horda land Homocysteine Study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003 Jun;60(6):618-26.
27. Tolmunen T, Voutilainen S, Hintikka J, et al. Dietary folate and depressive symptoms are associated in middle-aged Finnish men. J Nutr. 2003 Oct;133(10):3233-6.
28. Alpert JE, Mischoulon D, Rubenstein GE, et al. Folinic acid (Leucovorin) as an adjunctive treatment for SSRI-refractory depression. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2002 Mar;14(1):33-8.
29. Taylor MJ, Carney S, Geddes J, Goodwin G. Folate for depressive disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(2):CD003390.
30. Papakostas GI, Petersen T, Mischoulon D, et al. Serum folate, vitamin B12, and homocysteine in major depressive disorder, Part 1: predictors of clinical response in flu-oxetine-resistant depression. J Clin Psychia try. 2004 Aug;65(8):1090-5.
31. Alpert M, Silva RR, Pouget ER. Prediction of treatment response in geriatric depression from baseline folate level: interaction with an SSRI or a tricyclic antidepressant. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2003 Jun;23(3):309- 13.
32. Seshadri S, Beiser A, Selhub J, et al. Plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. N Engl J Med. 2002 Feb 14;346(7):476-83.
33. Sachdev P, Parslow R, Salonikas C, et al. Homocysteine and the brain in midadult life: evidence for an increased risk of leukoaraiosis in men. Arch Neurol. 2004 Sep;61(9):1369-76.
34. Morris MS. Folate, homocysteine, and neurological function. Nutr Clin Care. 2002 May;5(3):124-32.
35. Goldberg N. Women Are Not Small Men. New York: Ballantine;2002:5.
36. Sacks FM, Walsh BW. The effects of reproductive hormones on serum lipoproteins: unresolved issues in biology and clinical practice. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1990;592:272-85.
37. Paradisi G, Cucinelli F, Mele MC, et al. Endothelial function in post-menopausal women: effect of folic acid supplementation. Hum Reprod. 2004 Apr;19(4):1031-5.
38. Wolters M, Strohle A, Hahn A. Age-associated changes in the metabolism of vitamin B(12) and folic acid: prevalence, aetiopathogenesis and pathophysiological consequences. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2004 Apr;37(2):109-35.
39. Giovannucci E, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, et al. Multivitamin use, folate, and colon cancer in women in the Nurses’ Health Study. Ann Intern Med. 1998 Oct 1;129(7):517-24.