1. Grungreiff K, Reinhold D. Liver cirrhosis and “liver” diabetes mellitus are linked by zinc deficiency. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(2):316-7.
2. Prasad AS. Zinc: the biology and therapeutics of an ion. Ann Intern Med. 1996 Jul 15;125(2):142-4.
3. Kasperczyk S, Birkner E, Kasperczyk A, Zalejska-Fiolka J. Activity of superoxide dismutase and catalase in people protractedly exposed to lead compounds. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2004;11(2):291-6.
4. Kocaturk PA, Kavas GO, Erdeve O, Siklar Z. Superoxide dismutase activity and zinc and copper concentrations in growth retardation. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2004;102(1-3):51-9.
5. Landis GN, Tower J. Superoxide dismutase evolution and life span regulation. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005 Mar;126(3):365-79.
6. Ames BN. DNA damage from micronutrient deficiencies is likely to be a major cause of cancer. Mutat Res. 2001 Apr 18;475(1-2):7-20.
7. Noor R, Mittal S, Iqbal J. Superoxide dismutase—applications and relevance to human diseases. Med Sci Monit. 2002 Sep;8(9):RA210-5.
8. Kato S, Saeki Y, Aoki M, et al. Histological evidence of redox system breakdown caused by superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) aggregation is common to SOD1-mutated motor neurons in humans and animal models. Acta Neuropathol (Berl). 2004 Feb;107(2):149-58.
9. Olin KL, Golub MS, Gershwin ME, et al. Extracellular superoxide dismutase activity is affected by dietary zinc intake in nonhuman primate and rodent models. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995 Jun;61(6):1263-7.
10. Kiefer D. Superoxide dismutase: boosting the body’s primary antioxidant defense. Life Extension. June, 2006:72-8.
11. Raqib R, Roy SK, Rahman MJ, et al. Effect of zinc supplementation on immune and inflammatory responses in pediatric patients with shigellosis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Mar;79(3):444-50.
12. Bogden JD. Influence of zinc on immunity in the elderly. J Nutr Health Aging. 2004;8(1):48-54.
13. Field CJ, Johnson IR, Schley PD. Nutrients and their role in host resistance to infection. J Leukoc Biol. 2002 Jan;71(1):16-32.
14. Chandra RK. Impact of nutritional status and nutrient supplements on immune responses and incidence of infection in older individuals. Ageing Res Rev. 2004 Jan;3(1):91-104.
15. Fraker PJ, King LE. Reprogramming of the immune system during zinc deficiency. Annu Rev Nutr. 2004;24:277-98.
16. Fraker PJ, King LE, Laakko T, Vollmer TL. The dynamic link between the integrity of the immune system and zinc status. J Nutr. 2000 May;130(5S Suppl):1399S-406S.
17. Lim Y, Levy M, Bray TM. Dietary zinc alters early inflammatory responses during cutaneous wound healing in weanling CD-1 mice. J Nutr. 2004 Apr;134(4):811-6.
18. Patrick L. Nutrients and HIV: part two—vitamins A and E, zinc, B-vitamins, and magnesium. Altern Med Rev. 2000 Feb;5(1):39-51.
19. Mitchell WA, Meng I, Nicholson SA, Aspinall R. Thymic output, aging and zinc. Biogerontology. 2006 Sep 9; [Epub ahead of print]
20. Herbein G, Varin A, Fulop T. NF-kappaB, AP-1, Zinc-deficiency and aging. Biogerontology. 2006 Sep 9; [Epub ahead of print].
21. Philpott M, Ferguson LR. Immunonutrition and cancer. Mutat Res. 2004 Jul 13;551(1-2):29-42.
22. Fong LY, Zhang L, Jiang Y, Farber JL. Dietary zinc modulation of COX-2 expression and lingual and esophageal carcinogenesis in rats. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Jan 5;97(1):40-50.
23. Mossad SB, Macknin ML, Medendorp SV, Mason P. Zinc gluconate lozenges for treating the common cold. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Ann Intern Med. 1996 Jul 15;125(2):81-8.
24. Hulisz D. Efficacy of zinc against common cold viruses: an overview. J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash.DC.). 2004 Sep;44(5):594-603.
25. Anzueto A, Niederman MS. Diagnosis and treatment of rhinovirus respiratory infections. Chest. 2003 May;123(5):1664-72.
26. Eby GA. Zinc lozenges: cold cure or candy? Solution chemistry determinations. Biosci Rep. 2004 Feb;24(1):23-39.
27. McElroy BH, Miller SP. An open-label, single-center, phase IV clinical study of the effectiveness of zinc gluconate glycine lozenges (Cold-Eeze) in reducing the duration and symptoms of the common cold in school-aged subjects. Am J Ther. 2003 Sep;10(5):324-9.
28. McElroy BH, Miller SP. Effectiveness of zinc gluconate glycine lozenges (Cold-Eeze) against the common cold in school-aged subjects: a retrospective chart review. Am J Ther. 2002 Nov;9(6):472-5.
29. Prasad AS, Fitzgerald JT, Bao B, Beck FW, Chandrasekar PH. Duration of symptoms and plasma cytokine levels in patients with the common cold treated with zinc acetate. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Aug 15;133(4):245-52.
30. Suara RO, Crowe JE, Jr. Effect of zinc salts on respiratory syncytial virus replication. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004 Mar;48(3):783-90.
31. Osendarp SJ, West CE, Black RE. The need for maternal zinc supplementation in developing countries: an unresolved issue. J Nutr. 2003 Mar;133(3):817S-27S.
32. Surjawidjaja JE, Hidayat A, Lesmana M. Growth inhibition of enteric pathogens by zinc sulfate: an in vitro study. Med Princ Pract. 2004 Sep;13(5):286-9.
33. Makonnen B, Venter A, Joubert G. A randomized controlled study of the impact of dietary zinc supplementation in the management of children with protein-energy malnutrition in Lesotho. I: Mortality and morbidity. J Trop Pediatr. 2003 Dec;49(6):340-52.
34. Sinha R. National seminar on importance of zinc in human health. Indian Pediatr. 2004 Dec;41(12):1213-7.
35. Bhatnagar S and Natchu UC. Zinc in child health and disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2004 Nov;71(11):991-995.
36. Salgueiro MJ, Weill R, Zubillaga M, et al. Zinc deficiency and growth: current concepts in relationship to two important points: intellectual and sexual development. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2004;99(1-3):49-69.
37. Wasantwisut E. Nutrition and development: other micronutrients’ effect on growth and cognition. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 1997;28 Suppl 278-82.
38. Wagner PA, Bailey LB, Christakis GJ, Dinning JS. Serum zinc concentrations in adolescents as related to sexual maturation. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr. 1985 Nov;39(6):459-62.
39. Gibson RS, Heath AL, Ferguson EL. Risk of suboptimal iron and zinc nutriture among adolescent girls in Australia and New Zealand: causes, consequences, and solutions. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2002;11 Suppl 3S543-52.
40. Golub MS, Takeuchi PT, Keen CL, Hendrickx AG, Gershwin ME. Activity and attention in zinc-deprived adolescent monkeys. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996 Dec;64(6):908-15.
41. Golub MS, Keen CL, Gershwin ME, et al. Adolescent growth and maturation in zinc-deprived rhesus monkeys [see comment]. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996 Sep;64(3):274-82.
42. Brown KH, Peerson JM, Rivera J, Allen LH. Effect of supplemental zinc on the growth and serum zinc concentrations of prepubertal children: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Jun;75(6):1062-71.
43. Imamoglu S, Bereket A, Turan S, Taga Y, Haklar G. Effect of zinc supplementation on growth hormone secretion, IGF-I, IGFBP-3, somatomedin generation, alkaline phosphatase, osteocalcin and growth in prepubertal children with idiopathic short stature. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Jan;18(1):69-74.
44. Henkel R, Bittner J, Weber R, Huther F, Miska W. Relevance of zinc in human sperm flagella and its relation to motility. Fertil Steril. 1999 Jun;71(6):1138-43.
45. Mohan H, Verma J, Singh I, et al. Inter-relationship of zinc levels in serum and semen in oligospermic infertile patients and fertile males. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 1997 Oct;40(4):451-5.
46. Chia SE, Ong CN, Chua LH, Ho LM, Tay SK. Comparison of zinc concentrations in blood and seminal plasma and the various sperm parameters between fertile and infertile men. J Androl. 2000 Jan;21(1):53-7.
47. Robak-Cholubek D, Jakiel G, Bakalczuk S, Bokiniec M. Zinc levels in seminal plasma and sperm density. Ginekol Pol. 1998 Jun;69(6):490-3.
48. Kienast A, Roth B, Bossier C, Hojabri C, Hoeger PH. Zinc-deficiency dermatitis in breast-fed infants. Eur J Pediatr. 2006 Sep 8; [Epub ahead of print].
49. Sandstead HH, Frederickson CJ, Penland JG. History of zinc as related to brain function. J Nutr. 2000 Feb;130(2S Suppl):496S-502S.
50. Castejon HV, Ortega P, Amaya D, et al. Co-existence of anemia, vitamin A deficiency and growth retardation among children 24-84 months old in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Nutr Neurosci. 2004 Apr;7(2):113-9.
51. Zlotkin SH, Christofides AL, Hyder SM, et al. Controlling iron deficiency anemia through the use of home-fortified complementary foods. Indian J Pediatr. 2004 Nov;71(11):1015-9.
52. Alaimo K, McDowell MA, Briefel RR, et al. Dietary intake of vitamins, minerals, and fiber of persons ages 2 months and over in the United States: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Phase 1, 1988-91. Adv Data. 1994 Nov 14;(258):1-28.
53. Available at: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html#rda. Accessed September 26, 2006.
54. Willis MS, Monaghan SA, Miller ML, et al. Zinc-induced copper deficiency: a report of three cases initially recognized on bone marrow examination. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005 Jan;123(1):125-31.