1. Stampfer MJ, Malinow MR, Willett WC, et al. A prospective study of plasma homocyst(e)ine and risk of myocardial infarction in US physicians. JAMA. 1992 Aug 19;268(7):877-81.
2. Stanger O, Herrmann W, Pietrzik K, et al. Clinical use and rational management of homocysteine, folic acid, and B vitamins in cardiovascular and thrombotic diseases. Z Kardiol. 2004 Jun;93(6):439-53.
3. Nygard O, Nordrehaug JE, Refsum H, et al. Plasma homocysteine levels and mortality in patients with coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med. 1997 Jul 24;337(4):230-6.
4. Tyagi SC. Homocysteine redox receptor and regulation of extracellular matrix components in vascular cells. Am J Physiol. 1998 Feb;274(2 Pt 1):C396-C405.
5. Taha S, Azzi A, Ozer NK. Homocysteine induces DNA synthesis and proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells by a hydrogen peroxide-independent mechanism. Antioxid Redox Signal. 1999;1(3):365-9.
6. Kartal ON, Negis Y, Aytan N. Molecular mechanisms of cholesterol or homocysteine effect in the development of atherosclerosis: Role of vitamin E. Biofactors. 2003;19(1-2):63-70.
7. Zeng XK, Guan YF, Remick DG, Wang X. Signal pathways underlying homocysteine-induced production of MCP-1 and IL-8 in cultured human whole blood. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2005 Jan;26(1):85-91.
8. Zeng XK, Remick DG, Wang X. Homocysteine induces production of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and interleukin-8 in cultured human whole blood. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2004 Nov;25(11):1419-25.
9. Auer J, Berent R, Lassnig E, Eber B. C-reactive protein and coronary artery disease. Jpn Heart J. 2002 Nov;43(6):607-19.
10. Higuchi M, Castelli JB, Aiello VD, et al. Great amount of C.pneumoniae in ruptured plaque vessel segments at autopsy. A comparative study with stable plaques. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2000 Feb;74(2):149-51.
11. Sacks FM, Moye LA, Davis BR, et al. Relationship between plasma LDL concentrations during treatment with pravastatin and recurrent coronary events in the Cholesterol and Recurrent Events trial. Circulation. 1998 Apr 21;97(15):1446-52.
12. Rubins HB, Robins SJ, Collins D, et al. Distribution of lipids in 8,500 men with coronary artery disease. Department of Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention Trial Study Group. Am J Cardiol. 1995 Jun 15;75(17):1196-201.
13. Voutilainen S, Morrow JD, Roberts LJ, et al. Enhanced in vivo lipid peroxidation at elevated plasma total homocysteine levels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999 May;19(5):1263-6.
14. Sainani GS and Sainani R. Homocysteine and its role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerotic vascular disease. J Assoc Physicians India. 2002 May;50 Suppl16-23.
15. Laaksonen R, Janatuinen T, Vesalainen R, et al. High oxidized LDL and elevated plasma homocysteine contribute to the early reduction of myocardial flow reserve in healthy adults. Eur J Clin Invest. 2002 Nov;32(11):795-802.
16. Shatrov VA, Brune B. Induced expression of manganese superoxide dismutase by non-toxic concentrations of oxidized low-density lipoprotein (oxLDL) protects against oxLDL-mediated cytotoxicity. Biochem J. 2003 Sep 1;374(Pt 2):505-11.
17. Scaramella JG. Hyperhomocysteinemia and left internal jugular vein thrombosis with Meniere’s symptom complex. Ear Nose Throat J. 2003 Nov;82(11):856, 859-60, 65.
18. Sauls DL, Wolberg AS, Hoffman M. Elevated plasma homocysteine leads to alterations in fibrin clot structure and stability: implications for the mechanism of thrombosis in hyperhomocysteinemia. J Thromb Haemost. 2003 Feb;1(2):300-6.
19. Ebbesen LS, Christiansen K, Ingerslev J. Hyperhomocysteinemia due to folate deficiency is thrombogenic in rats. J Nutr. 2003 Jul;133(7):2250-5.
20. Al-Obaidi MK, Philippou H, Stubbs PJ, et al. Relationships between homocysteine, factor VIIa, and thrombin generation in acute coronary syndromes. Circulation. 2000 Feb 1;101(4):372-7.
21. Khajuria A, Houston DS. Induction of monocyte tissue factor expression by homocysteine: a possible mechanism for thrombosis. Blood. 2000 Aug 1;96(3):966-72.
22. Derbeneva SA, Pogozheva AV. Homocysteine as a coronary risk factor. Vopr Pitan. 2003;72(5):43-8.
23. Debreceni L. Homocysteine—a risk factor for atherosclerosis. Orv Hetil. 2001 Jul 8;142(27):1439-44.
24. Magott M. Homocysteine as a nonlipid factor in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Postepy Hig Med Dosw. 1998;52(3):259-67.
25. Lentz SR, Sadler JE. Inhibition of thrombomodulin surface expression and protein C activation by the thrombogenic agent homocysteine. J Clin Invest. 1991 Dec;88(6):1906-14.
26. Hayashi T, Honda G, Suzuki K. An atherogenic stimulus homocysteine inhibits cofactor activity of thrombomodulin and enhances thrombomodulin expression in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Blood. 1992 Jun 1;79(11):2930-6.
27. Tribouilloy CM, Peltier M, Iannetta Peltier MC, et al. Plasma homocysteine and severity of thoracic aortic atherosclerosis. Chest. 2000 Dec;118(6):1685-9.
28. Lentz SR, Rodionov RN, Dayal S. Hyperhomocysteinemia, endothelial dysfunction, and cardiovascular risk: the potential role of ADMA. Atheroscler Suppl. 2003 Dec;4(4):61-5.
29. Graham IM, Daly LE, Refsum HM, et al. Plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for vascular disease. The European Concerted Action Project. JAMA. 1997 Jun 11;277(22):1775-81.
30. Rasouli ML, Nasir K, Blumenthal RS, et al. Plasma homocysteine predicts progression of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2005 Jul;181(1):159-65.
31. Mayer EL, Jacobsen DW, Robinson K. Homocysteine and coronary atherosclerosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996 Mar 1;27(3):517-27.
32. Anon. Homocysteine and risk of ischemic heart disease and stroke: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2002 Oct 23;288(16):2015-22.
33. Refsum H, Ueland PM, Nygard O, Vollset SE. Homocysteine and cardiovascular disease. Annu Rev Med. 1998;49:31-62.
34. Selhub J, Jacques PF, Rosenberg IH, et al. Serum total homocysteine concentrations in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1991-1994): population reference ranges and contribution of vitamin status to high serum concentrations. Ann Intern Med. 1999 Sep 7;131(5):331-9.
35. Mann NJ, Li D, Sinclair AJ, et al. The effect of diet on plasma homocysteine concentrations in healthy male subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1999 Nov;53(11):895-9.
36. Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Blazicek P, Kopcova J, Bederova A, Babinska K. Homocysteine levels in vegetarians versus omnivores. Ann Nutr Metab. 2000;44(3):135-8.
37. Chrysohoou C, Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, et al. The associations between smoking, physical activity, dietary habits and plasma homocysteine levels in cardiovascular disease-free people: the “ATTICA” study. Vasc Med. 2004 May;9(2):117-23.3811.
38. Hoogeveen EK, Kostense PJ, Beks PJ, et al. Hyperhomocysteinemia is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, especially in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: a population-based study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1998 Jan;18(1):133-8.
39. O’Callaghan P, Meleady R, Fitzgerald T, Graham I. Smoking and plasma homocysteine. Eur Heart J. 2002 Oct;23(20):1580-6.
40. Hopkins PN, Wu LL, Hunt SC, et al. Lipoprotein(a) interactions with lipid and nonlipid risk factors in early familial coronary artery disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997 Nov;17(11):2783-92.
41. Hackam DG, Peterson JC, Spence JD. What level of plasma homocyst(e)ine should be treated? Effects of vitamin therapy on progression of carotid atherosclerosis in patients with homocyst(e)ine levels above and below 14 micromol/L. Am J Hypertens. 2000 Jan;13(1 Pt 1):105-10.
42. de Jong SC, Stehouwer CD, van den BM, et al. Normohomocysteinaemia and vitamin-treated hyperhomocysteinaemia are associated with similar risks of cardiovascular events in patients with premature peripheral arterial occlusive disease. A prospective cohort study. J Intern Med. 1999 Jul;246(1):87-96.
43. Vermeulen EG, Stehouwer CD, Twisk JW, et al. Effect of homocysteine-lowering treatment with folic acid plus vitamin B6 on progression of subclinical atherosclerosis: a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2000 Feb 12;355(9203):517-22.
44. Schnyder G, Roffi M, Flammer Y, Pin R, Hess OM. Effect of homocysteine-lowering therapy with folic acid, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6 on clinical outcome after percutaneous coronary intervention: the Swiss Heart study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002 Aug 28;288(8):973-9.
45. Liem AH, van Boven AJ, Veeger NJ et al. Efficacy of folic acid when added to statin therapy in patients with hypercholesterolemia following acute myocardial infarction: a randomised pilot trial. Int J Cardiol. 2004 Feb;93(2-3):175-9.
46. Toole JF, Malinow MR, Chambless LE, et al. Lowering homocysteine in patients with ischemic stroke to prevent recurrent stroke, myocardial infarction, and death: the Vitamin Intervention for Stroke Prevention (VISP) randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004 Feb 4;291(5):565-75.
47. Dietary reference intakes for thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, pantothenic acid, biotin, and choline (1998). US Dept. of Agriculture.
48. Subar AF, Block G, James LD. Folate intake and food sources in the US population. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Sep;50(3):508-16.
49. Tucker KL, Mahnken B, Wilson PW, Jacques P, Selhub J. Folic acid fortification of the food supply. Potential benefits and risks for the elderly population. JAMA. 1996 Dec 18;276(23):1879-85.
50. McNulty H, Pentieva K. Folate bioavailability. Proc Nutr Soc. 2004 Nov;63(4):529-36.
51. Oakley GP, Jr. Eat right and take a multivitamin. N Engl J Med. 1998 Apr 9;338(15):1060-1.
52. Durga J, van Tits LJ, Schouten EG, Kok FJ, Verhoef P. Effect of lowering of homocysteine levels on inflammatory markers: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Jun 27;165(12):1388-94.
53. Lewerin C, Matousek M, Steen G, et al. Significant correlations of plasma homocysteine and serum methylmalonic acid with movement and cognitive performance in elderly subjects but no improvement from short-term vitamin therapy: a placebo-controlled randomized study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 May;81(5):1155-62.
54. Eussen SJ, de Groot LC, Clarke R, et al. Oral cyanocobalamin supplementation in older people with vitamin B12 deficiency: a dose-finding trial. Arch Intern Med. 2005 May 23;165(10):1167-72.
55. Robinson K, Arheart K, Refsum H, et al. Low circulating folate and vitamin B6 concentrations: risk factors for stroke, peripheral vascular disease, and coronary artery disease. European COMAC Group. Circulation. 1998 Feb 10;97(5):437-43.
56. Vermeulen EG, Rauwerda JA, van den BM, et al. Homocysteine-lowering treatment with folic acid plus vitamin B6 lowers urinary albumin excretion but not plasma markers of endothelial function or C-reactive protein: further analysis of secondary end-points of a randomized clinical trial. Eur J Clin Invest. 2003 Mar;33(3):209-15.
57. Vermeulen EG, Stehouwer CD, Valk J, et al. Effect of homocysteine-lowering treatment with folic acid plus vitamin B on cerebrovascular atherosclerosis and white matter abnormalities as determined by MRA and MRI: a placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Eur J Clin Invest. 2004 Apr;34(4):256-61.
58. Bernstein AL. Vitamin B6 in clinical neurology. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1990;585:250-60.
59. Bendich A, Cohen M. Vitamin B6 safety issues. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1990;585:321-30.
60. Olthof MR, Verhoef P. Effects of betaine intake on plasma homocysteine concentrations and consequences for health. Curr Drug Metab. 2005 Feb;6(1):15-22.
61. Steenge GR, Verhoef P, Katan MB. Betaine supplementation lowers plasma homocysteine in healthy men and women. J Nutr. 2003 May;133(5):1291-5.
62. Holm PI, Ueland PM, Vollset SE, et al. Betaine and folate status as cooperative determinants of plasma homocysteine in humans. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005 Feb;25(2):379-85.
63. Olthof MR, Vliet TV, Verhoef P, Zock PL, Katan MB. Effect of homocysteine-lowering nutrients on blood lipids: results from four randomised, placebo-controlled studies in healthy humans. PLoS Med. 2005 May;2(5):e135.
64. da Costa KA, Gaffney CE, Fischer LM, Zeisel SH. Choline deficiency in mice and humans is associated with increased plasma homocysteine concentration after a methionine load. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Feb;81(2):440-4.
65. Troen AM, Lutgens E, Smith DE, Rosenberg IH, Selhub J. The atherogenic effect of excess methionine intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003 Dec 9;100(25):15089-94.
66. Olszewski AJ, McCully KS. Fish oil decreases serum homocysteine in hyperlipemic men. Coron Artery Dis. 1993 Jan;4(1):53-60.
67. Moller JM, Nielsen GL, Ekelund S, Schmidt EB, Dyerberg J. Homocysteine in Greenland Inuits. Thromb Res. 1997 May 15;86(4):333-5.
68. Nonaka H, Tsujino T, Watari Y, Emoto N, Yokoyama M. Taurine prevents the decrease in expression and secretion of extracellular superoxide dismutase induced by homocysteine: amelioration of homocysteine-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress by taurine. Circulation. 2001 Sep 4;104(10):1165-70.
69. Ali A, Mehra MR, Lavie CJ, et al. Modulatory impact of cardiac rehabilitation on hyperhomocysteinemia in patients with coronary artery disease and "normal" lipid levels. Am J Cardiol. 1998 Dec 15;82(12):1543-5.
70. Zeisel SH, Mar MH, Howe JC, Holden JM. Concentrations of choline-containing compounds and betaine in common foods. J Nutr. 2003 May;133(5):1302-7.
71. Morris MS, Fava M, Jacques PF, Selhub J, Rosenberg IH. Depression and folate status in the US population. Psychother Psychosom. 2003 Mar;72(2):80-7.
72. Bottiglieri T, Laundy M, Crellin R, et al. Homocysteine, folate, methylation, and monoamine metabolism in depression. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2000 Aug;69(2):228-32.
73. Fava M, Borus JS, Alpert JE, et al. Folate, vitamin B12, and homocysteine in major depressive disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1997 Mar;154(3):426-8.
74. Passeri M, Cucinotta D, Abate G, et al. Oral 5'-methyltetrahydrofolic acid in senile organic mental disorders with depression: results of a double-blind multicenter study. Aging (Milano.). 1993 Feb;5(1):63-71.
75. Coppen A, Bailey J. Enhancement of the antidepressant action of fluoxetine by folic acid: a randomised, placebo controlled trial. J Affect Disord. 2000 Nov;60(2):121-30.
76. Godfrey PS, Toone BK, Carney MW, et al. Enhancement of recovery from psychiatric illness by methylfolate. Lancet. 1990 Aug 18;336(8712):392-5.
77. Kado DM, Karlamangla AS, Huang MH, et al. Homocysteine versus the vitamins folate, B6, and B12 as predictors of cognitive function and decline in older high-functioning adults: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging. Am J Med. 2005 Feb;118(2):161-7.
78. Ellinson M, Thomas J, Patterson A. A critical evaluation of the relationship between serum vitamin B, folate and total homocysteine with cognitive impairment in the elderly. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2004 Aug;17(4):371-83.
79. Scott TM, Tucker KL, Bhadelia A, et al. Homocysteine and B vitamins relate to brain volume and white-matter changes in geriatric patients with psychiatric disorders. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2004 Nov;12(6):631-8.
80. Ravaglia G, Forti P, Maioli F, et al. Homocysteine and folate as risk factors for dementia and Alzheimer disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Sep;82(3):636-43.
81. McLean RR, Jacques PF, Selhub J, et al. Homocysteine as a predictive factor for hip fracture in older persons. N Engl J Med. 2004 May 13;350(20):2042-9.
82. van Meurs JB, Dhonukshe-Rutten RA, Pluijm SM, et al. Homocysteine levels and the risk of osteoporotic fracture. N Engl J Med. 2004 May 13;350(20):2033-41.
83. Morris MS, Jacques PF, Selhub J. Relation between homocysteine and B-vitamin status indicators and bone mineral density in older Americans. Bone. 2005 Jun 8.
84. Sato Y, Honda Y, Iwamoto J, Kanoko T, Satoh K. Effect of folate and mecobalamin on hip fractures in patients with stroke: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005 Mar 2;293(9):1082-8.
85. Nakano E, Taylor CJ, Chada L, McGaw J, Powers HJ. Hyperhomocystinemia in children with inflammatory bowel disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2003 Nov;37(5):586-90.
86. Gurbuz A, Karateke A, Mengulluoglu M. Elevated plasma homocysteine levels in preeclampsia and eclampsia. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004 Nov;87(2):165-6.
87. Stover PJ. Physiology of folate and vitamin B12 in health and disease. Nutr Rev. 2004 Jun;62(6 Pt 2):S3-12.
88. Seddon JM, Gensler G, Klein ML. Evaluation of plasma homocysteine and risk of age-related macular degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006 Jan;141(1):201-3.
89. Available at: www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/11942690.htm. Accessed June 21, 2005.