1. Bacon CG, Mittleman MA, Kawachi I, et al. Sexual function in men older than 50 years of age: results from the health professionals follow-up study. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Aug 5;139(3):161-8.
2. Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG, Krane RJ, McKinlay JB. Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol. 1994 Jan;151(1):54-61.
3. Montorsi P, Ravagnani PM, Galli S, et al. Association between erectile dysfunction and coronary artery disease. Role of coronary clinical presentation and extent of coronary vessels involvement: the COBRA trial. Eur Heart J. 2006 Nov;27(22):2632-9.
4. Beckman TJ, bu-Lebdeh HS, Mynderse LA. Evaluation and medical management of erectile dysfunction. Mayo Clin Proc. 2006 Mar;81(3):385-90.
5. Furchgott RF, Zawadzki JV. The obligatory role of endothelial cells in the relaxation of arterial smooth muscle by acetylcholine. Nature. 1980 Nov 27;288(5789):373-6.
6. Murad F. The 1996 Albert Lasker Medical Research Awards. Signal transduction using nitric oxide and cyclic guanosine monophosphate. JAMA. 1996 Oct 9;276(14):1189-92.
7. Desjardins F, Balligand JL. Nitric oxide-dependent endothelial function and cardiovascular disease. Acta Clin Belg. 2006 Nov-Dec;61(6):326-34.
8. Watts GF, Chew KK, Stuckey BG. The erectile-endothelial dysfunction nexus: new opportunities for cardiovascular risk prevention. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med. 2007 May;4(5):263-73.
9. Ignarro LJ, Cirino G, Casini A, Napoli C. Nitric oxide as a signaling molecule in the vascular system: an overview. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1999 Dec;34(6):879-86.
10. Heidler S, Temml C, Broessner C, et al. Is the metabolic syndrome an independent risk factor for erectile dysfunction? J Urol. 2007 Feb;177(2):651-4.
11. Makhsida N, Shah J, Yan G, Fisch H, Shabsigh R. Hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome: implications for testosterone therapy. J Urol. 2005 Sep;174(3):827-34.
12. Zumoff B, Strain GW, Miller LK, et al. Plasma free and non-sex-hormone-binding-globulin-bound testosterone are decreased in obese men in proportion to their degree of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990 Oct;71(4):929-31.
13. Miner MM, Seftel AD. Testosterone and ageing: what have we learned since the Institute of Medicine report and what lies ahead? Int J Clin Pract. 2007 Apr;61(4):622-32.
14. Khalil RA. Sex hormones as potential modulators of vascular function in hypertension. Hypertension. 2005 Aug;46(2):249-54.
15. Marin P, Holmang S, Jonsson L, et al. The effects of testosterone treatment on body composition and metabolism in middle-aged obese men. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992 Dec;16(12):991-7.
16. Simon D, Charles MA, Lahlou N, et al. Androgen therapy improves insulin sensitivity and decreases leptin level in healthy adult men with low plasma total testosterone: a 3-month randomized placebo-controlled trial. Diabetes Care. 2001 Dec;24(12):2149-51.
17. Malkin CJ, Pugh PJ, Jones RD, et al. The effect of testosterone replacement on endogenous inflammatory cytokines and lipid profiles in hypogonadal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jul;89(7):3313-8.
18. Rosano GM, Sheiban I, Massaro R, et al. Low testosterone levels are associated with coronary artery disease in male patients with angina. Int J Impot Res. 2007 Mar-Apr;19(2):176-82.
19. Mikhail N. Does testosterone have a role in erectile function? Am J Med. 2006 May;119(5):373-82.
20. Shabsigh R. Testosterone therapy in erectile dysfunction and hypogonadism. J Sex Med. 2005 Nov;2(6):785-92.
21. Jain P, Rademaker AW, McVary KT. Testosterone supplementation for erectile dysfunction: results of a meta-analysis. J Urol. 2000 Aug;164(2):371-5.
22. Boloña ER, Uraga MV, Haddad RM, et al. Testosterone use in men with sexual dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Mayo Clin Proc. 2007 Jan;82(1):20-8.
23. Aversa A, Isidori AM, Spera G, Lenzi A, Fabbri A. Androgens improve cavernous vasodilation and response to sildenafil in patients with erectile dysfunction. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2003 May;58(5):632-8.
24. Jeong HJ, Shin YG, Kim IH, Pezzuto JM. Inhibition of aromatase activity by flavonoids. Arch Pharm Res. 1999 Jun;22(3):309-12.
25. Jockenhövel F. Testosterone therapy—what, when and to whom? Aging Male. 2004 Dec;7(4):319-24.
26. Tan RS, Salazar JA. Risks of testosterone replacement therapy in ageing men. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2004 Nov;3(6):599-606.
27. Rhoden EL, Morgentaler A. Testosterone replacement therapy in hypogonadal men at high risk for prostate cancer: results of 1 year of treatment in men with prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. J Urol. 2003 Dec;170(6 Pt 1):2348-51.
28. Bhasin S, Calof OM, Storer TW, et al. Drug insight: Testosterone and selective androgen receptor modulators as anabolic therapies for chronic illness and aging. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Mar;2(3):146-59.
29. Wu G, Morris SM, Jr. Arginine metabolism: nitric oxide and beyond. Biochem J. 1998 Nov 15;336 ( Pt 1)1-17.
30. Available at: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/lar_0024.shtml. Accessed July 27, 2007.
31. Ignarro LJ, Byrns RE, Sumi D, et al. Pomegranate juice protects nitric oxide against oxidative destruction and enhances the biological actions of nitric oxide. Nitric Oxide. 2006 Sep;15(2):93-102.
32. de Nigris F, Williams-Ignarro S, Botti C, Sica V, Ignarro LJ, Napoli C. Pomegranate juice reduces oxidized low-density lipoprotein downregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in human coronary endothelial cells. Nitric Oxide. 2006 Nov;15(3):259-63.
33. de Nigris F, Williams-Ignarro S, Lerman LO, et al. Beneficial effects of pomegranate juice on oxidation-sensitive genes and endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity at sites of perturbed shear stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2005 Mar 29;102(13):4896-901.
34. Vouldoukis I, Conti M, Krauss P, et al. Supplementation with gliadin-combined plant superoxide dismutase extract promotes antioxidant defences and protects against oxidative stress. Phytother Res. 2004 Dec;18(12):957-62.
35. Aviram M, Rosenblat M, Gaitini D, et al. Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation. Clin Nutr. 2004 Jun;23(3):423-33.
36. Cloarec M, Caillard P, Provost JC, Dever JM, Elbeze Y, Zamaria N. GliSODin, a vegetal sod with gliadin, as preventative agent vs. atherosclerosis, as confirmed with carotid ultrasound-B imaging. Allerg Immunol (Paris). 2007 Feb;39(2):45-50.
37. Azadzoi KM, Schulman RN, Aviram M, Siroky MB. Oxidative stress in arteriogenic erectile dysfunction: prophylactic role of antioxidants. J Urol. 2005 Jul;174(1):386-93.
38. Forest CP, Padma-Nathan H, Liker HR. Efficacy and safety of pomegranate juice on improvement of erectile dysfunction in male patients with mild to moderate erectile dysfunction: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. Int J Impot Res. 2007 Jun 14; [Epub ahead of print].
39. Kim H, Yoon YJ, Shon JH, Cha IJ, Shin JG, Liu KH. Inhibitory effects of fruit juices on CYP3A activity. Drug Metab Dispos. 2006 Apr;34(4):521-3.
40. Candipan RC, Wang BY, Buitrago R, Tsao PS, Cooke JP. Regression or progression. Dependency on vascular nitric oxide. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1996 Jan;16(1):44-50.
41. Hamon M, Vallet B, Bauters C, et al. Long-term oral administration of L-arginine reduces intimal thickening and enhances neoendothelium-dependent acetylcholine-induced relaxation after arterial injury. Circulation. 1994 Sep;90(3):1357-62.
42. Piatti P, Fragasso G, Monti LD, et al. Acute intravenous L-arginine infusion decreases endothelin-1 levels and improves endothelial function in patients with angina pectoris and normal coronary arteriograms: correlation with asymmetric dimethylarginine levels. Circulation. 2003 Jan 28;107(3):429-36.
43. Cooke JP. ADMA: its role in vascular disease. Vasc Med. 2005 Jul;10 Suppl 1S11-7.
44. Wascher TC, Graier WF, Dittrich P, et al. Effects of low-dose L-arginine on insulin-mediated vasodilatation and insulin sensitivity. Eur J Clin Invest. 1997 Aug;27(8):690-5.
45. Cavallini G, Caracciolo S, Vitali G, Modenini F, Biagiotti G. Carnitine versus androgen administration in the treatment of sexual dysfunction, depressed mood, and fatigue associated with male aging. Urology. 2004 Apr;63(4):641-6.
46. Gentile V, Vicini P, Prigiotti G, Koverech A, Di SF. Preliminary observations on the use of propionyl-L-carnitine in combination with sildenafil in patients with erectile dysfunction and diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2004 Sep;20(9):1377-84.
47. Available at: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/lca_0060.shtml. Accessed July 27, 2007.
48. Reiter WJ, Pycha A, Schatzl G, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: a prospective, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Urology. 1999 Mar;53(3):590-4.
49. Choi HK, Seong DH, Rha KH. Clinical efficacy of Korean red ginseng for erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res. 1995 Sep;7(3):181-6.
50. Hong B, Ji YH, Hong JH, Nam KY, Ahn TY. A double-blind crossover study evaluating the efficacy of korean red ginseng in patients with erectile dysfunction: a preliminary report. J Urol. 2002 Nov;168(5):2070-3.
51. de AE, de Mesquita AA, Claro JA, et al. Study of the efficacy of Korean Red Ginseng in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Asian J Androl. 2007 Mar;9(2):241-4.
52. Available at: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/herbaldrugs/101250.shtml. Accessed July 27, 2007.
53. Cohen AJ, Bartlik B. Ginkgo biloba for antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. J Sex Marital Ther. 1998 Apr;24(2):139-43.
54. Available at: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/herbaldrugs/101240.shtml. Accessed July 27, 2007.
55. Achike FI, Kwan CY. Nitric oxide, human diseases and the herbal products that affect the nitric oxide signalling pathway. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2003 Sep;30(9):605-15.