1. Available at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/126999-overview. Accessed January 5, 2009.
2. de Boer H, Blok GJ, Van der Veen EA. Clinical aspects of growth hormone deficiency in adults. Endocr Rev. 1995 Feb;16(1):63-86.
3. Sartorio A, Conti A, Molinari E, et al. Growth, growth hormone and cognitive functions. Horm Res. 1996;45(1-2):23-9.
4. Toogood AA, Shalet SM. Ageing and growth hormone status. Baillieres Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Jul;12(2):281-96.
5. Van Cauter E, Leproult R, Plat L. Age-related changes in slow wave sleep and REM sleep and relationship with growth hormone and cortisol levels in healthy men. JAMA. 2000 Aug 16;284(7):861-8.
6. Aleman A, de Vries WR, de Haan EH, et al. Age-sensitive cognitive function, growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 plasma levels in healthy older men. Neuropsychobiology. 2000 Jan;41(2):73-8.
7. Compton DM, Bachman LD, Brand D, Avet TL. Age-associated changes in cognitive function in highly educated adults: emerging myths and realities. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2000 Jan;15(1):75-85.
8. van Dam PS, Aleman A, de Vries WR, et al. Growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor I and cognitive function in adults. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2000 Apr;10: (Suppl B):S69-S73.
9. Schneider HJ, Pagotto U, Stalla GK. Central effects of the somatotropic system. Eur J Endocrinol. 2003 Nov;149(5):377-92.
10. Carroll PV, Christ ER, Bengtsson BA, et al. Growth hormone deficiency in adulthood and the effects of growth hormone replacement: a review. Growth Hormone Research Society Scientific Committee. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Feb;83(2):382-95.
11. McGauley GA. Quality of life assessment before and after growth hormone treatment in adults with growth hormone deficiency. Acta Paediatr Scand Suppl. 1989;356:70-2.
12. Stabler B, Turner JR, Girdler SS, Light KC, Underwood LE. Reactivity to stress and psychological adjustment in adults with pituitary insufficiency. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1992 May;36(5):467-73.
13. Rosen T, Wiren L, Wilhelmsen L, Wiklund I, Bengtsson BA. Decreased psychological well-being in adult patients with growth hormone deficiency. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1994 Jan;40(1):111-6.
14. McMillan CV, Bradley C, Gibney J, et al. Psychological effects of withdrawal of growth hormone therapy from adults with growth hormone deficiency. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2003 Oct;59(4):467-75.
15. Rosen T, Bengtsson BA. Premature mortality due to cardiovascular disease in hypopituitarism. Lancet. 1990 Aug 4;336(8710):285-8.
16. Bates AS, Van’t HW, Jones PJ, Clayton RN. The effect of hypopituitarism on life expectancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Mar;81(3):1169-72.
17. Fernholm R, Bramnert M, Hagg E, et al. Growth hormone replacement therapy improves body composition and increases bone metabolism in elderly patients with pituitary disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Nov;85(11):4104-12.
18. Monson JP. Long-term experience with GH replacement therapy: efficacy and safety. Eur J Endocrinol. 2003 Apr;148(Suppl 2):S9-14.
19. Mathioudakis N, Salvatori R. Adult-onset growth hormone deficiency: causes, complications and treatment options. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2008 Aug;15(4):352-8.
20. Beauregard C, Utz AL, Schaub AE, et al. Growth hormone decreases visceral fat and improves cardiovascular risk markers in women with hypopituitarism: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Jun;93(6):2063-71.
21. van der Klaauw AA, Pereira AM, Rabelink TJ, et al. Recombinant human GH replacement increases CD34+ cells and improves endothelial function in adults with GH deficiency. Eur J Endocrinol. 2008 Aug;159(2):105-11.
22. Rota F, Savanelli MC, Tauchmanova L, et al. Bone density and turnover in young adult patients with growth hormone deficiency after 2-year growth hormone replacement according with gender. J Endocrinol Invest. 2008 Feb;31(2):94-102.
23. Mogul HR, Lee PD, Whitman BY, et al. Growth hormone treatment of adults with Prader-Willi syndrome and growth hormone deficiency improves lean body mass, fractional body fat, and serum triiodothyronine without glucose impairment: results from the United States multicenter trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Apr;93(4):1238-45.
24. Karbownik-Lewinska M, Kokoszko A, Lewandowski KC, Shalet SM, Lewinski A. GH replacement reduces increased lipid peroxidation in GH-deficient adults. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008 Jun;68(6):957-64.
25. Rudman D, Feller AG, Nagraj HS, et al. Effects of human growth hormone in men over 60 years old. N Engl J Med. 1990 Jul 5;323(1):1-6.
26. Sherlock M, Toogood AA. Aging and the growth hormone/insulin like growth factor-I axis. Pituitary. 2007;10(2):189-203.
27. Liu H, Bravata DM, Olkin I, et al. Systematic review: the safety and efficacy of growth hormone in the healthy elderly. Ann Intern Med. 2007 Jan 16;146(2):104-15.
28. Giordano R, Bonelli L, Marinazzo E, Ghigo E, Arvat E. Growth hormone treatment in human ageing: benefits and risks. Hormones (Athens). 2008 Apr;7(2):133-9.
29. Friedlander AL, Butterfield GE, Moynihan S, et al. One year of insulin-like growth factor I treatment does not affect bone density, body composition, or psychological measures in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Apr;86(4):1496-503.
30. Cummings DE, Merriam GR. Growth hormone therapy in adults. Annu Rev Med. 2003;54:513-33.
31. Clemmons DR. The relative roles of growth hormone and IGF-1 in controlling insulin sensitivity. J Clin Invest. 2004 Jan;113(1):25-7.
32. Yuen K, Wareham N, Frystyk J, et al. Short-term low-dose growth hormone administration in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance and the metabolic syndrome: effects on beta-cell function and post-load glucose tolerance. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004 Jul;151(1):39-45.
33. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, et al. Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and prostate cancer risk: a prospective study. Science. 1998 Jan 23;279(5350):563-6.
34. Shim M, Cohen P. IGFs and human cancer: implications regarding the risk of growth hormone therapy. Horm Res. 1999;51(Suppl 3):42-51.
35. Cohen P, Clemmons DR, Rosenfeld RG. Does the GH-IGF axis play a role in cancer pathogenesis? Growth Horm IGF Res. 2000 Dec;10(6):297-305.
36. Khandwala HM, McCutcheon IE, Flyvbjerg A, Friend KE. The effects of insulin-like growth factors on tumorigenesis and neoplastic growth. Endocr Rev. 2000 Jun;21(3):215-44.
37. Laban C, Bustin SA, Jenkins PJ. The GH-IGF-I axis and breast cancer. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Jan;14(1):28-34.
38. Panzeri G, Torsello A, Cella SG, Muller EE, Locatelli V. Age-related modulatory activity by a cholinergic agonist on the growth hormone response to GH-releasing hormone in the rat. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1990 Apr;193(4):301-5.
39. Ceda GP, Ceresini G, Denti L, et al. Effects of cytidine 5’-diphosphocholine administration on basal and growth hormone-releasing hormone-induced growth hormone secretion in elderly subjects. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1991 May;124(5):516-20.
40. Matsuoka T, Kawanaka M, Nagai K. Effect of cytidine diphosphate choline on growth hormone and prolactin secretion in man. Endocrinol Jpn. 1978 Feb;25(1):55-7.
41. No authors listed. Citicoline - monograph. Altern Med Rev. 2008 Mar;13(1):50-7.
42. Available at: http://www.endotext.org/neuroendo/neuroendo5c/neuroendoframe5c.htm. Accessed December 30, 2008.
43. Chromiak JA, Antonio J. Use of amino acids as growth hormone-releasing agents by athletes. Nutrition. 2002 Jul;18(7-8):657-61.
44. Adriao M, Chrisman CJ, Bielavsky M, et al. Arginine increases growth hormone gene expression in rat pituitary and GH3 cells. Neuroendocrinology. 2004 Jan;79(1):26-33.
45. Welbourne TC. Increased plasma bicarbonate and growth hormone after an oral glutamine load. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995 May;61(5):1058-61.
46. Hammarqvist F, Wernerman J, Ali R, von der DA, Vinnars E. Addition of glutamine to total parenteral nutrition after elective abdominal surgery spares free glutamine in muscle, counteracts the fall in muscle protein synthesis, and improves nitrogen balance. Ann Surg. 1989 Apr;209(4):455-61.
47. Kanaley JA. Growth hormone, arginine and exercise. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008 Jan;11(1):50-4.
48. De Bandt JP, Cynober LA. Amino acids with anabolic properties. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 1998 May;1(3):263-72.
49. Cynober L. Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate as a potent precursor of arginine and nitric oxide: a new job for an old friend. J Nutr. 2004 Oct;134(10 Suppl):2858S-2862S; discussion 2895S.
50. Elam RP, Hardin DH, Sutton RA, Hagen L. Effects of arginine and ornithine on strength, lean body mass and urinary hydroxyproline in adult males. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1989 Mar;29(1):52-6.
51. Chase MH. Confirmation of the consensus that glycinergic postsynaptic inhibition is responsible for the atonia of REM sleep. Sleep. 2008 Nov 1;31(11):1487-91.
52. Yamadera W, Inagawa K, Chiba S, Bannai M, Takahashi M, Nakayama K. Glycine ingestion improves subjective sleep quality in human volunteers, correlating with polysomnographic changes. Sleep and Biological Rhythms. 2007;5(2):126-31.
53. Arwert LI, Deijen JB, Drent ML. Effects of an oral mixture containing glycine, glutamine and niacin on memory, GH and IGF-I secretion in middle-aged and elderly subjects. Nutr Neurosci. 2003 Oct;6(5):269-75.
54. Williams T, Berelowitz M, Joffe SN, et al. Impaired growth hormone responses to growth hormone-releasing factor in obesity. A pituitary defect reversed with weight reduction. N Engl J Med. 1984 Nov 29;311(22):1403-7.
55. Ngondi JL, Matsinkou R, Oben JE. The use of Irvingia gabonensis extract (IGOB131) in the management of metabolic syndrome in Cameroon. 2008. Submitted for publication.
56. Oben JE, Ngondi JL, Blum K. Inhibition of adipogenesis by Irvingia gabonensis seed extract (IGOB131) as mediated via down regulation of the PPAR gamma and leptin genes, and up-regulation of the adiponectin gene. Lipids Health Dis. 2008 Nov 13;7(1):44.
57. Ngondi JL, Djiotsa EJ, Fossouo Z, Oben J. Hypoglycaemic effect of the methanol extract of irvingia gabonensis seeds on streptozotocin diabetic rats. Afr J Trad CAM. 2006;3:74-7.
58. Lydon C. Deflating your spare tire for a longer, leaner life. Turn
off your fat switch. Understanding the risks of leptin resistance. Life Extension. 2009 Feb; 15(2):54-61.
59. Faloon W. Vindication. Life Extension. 2008 Dec; 14(12):7-14.
60. Ji S, Guan R, Frank SJ, Messina JL. Insulin inhibits growth hormone signaling via the growth hormone receptor/JAK2/STAT5B pathway. J Biol Chem. 1999 May 7;274(19):13434-42.
61. Livesey G, Taylor R, Hulshof T, Howlett J. Glycemic response and health—a systematic review and meta-analysis: relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):258S-268S.
62. Ftaiti F, Jemni M, Kacem A, et al. Effect of hyperthermia and physical activity on circulating growth hormone. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Oct;33(5):880-7.
63. Godfrey RJ, Whyte GR, Buckley J, Quinlivan R. The role of lactate in the exercise-induced human growth hormone response: evidence from McArdle’s disease. Br J Sports Med. 2008 Jan 31.
64. Godfrey RJ, Madgwick Z, Whyte GP. The exercise-induced growth hormone response in athletes. Sports Med. 2003;33(8):599-613.
65. Vahl N, Jorgensen JO, Jurik AG, Christiansen JS. Abdominal adiposity and physical fitness are major determinants of the age associated decline in stimulated GH secretion in healthy adults. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Jun;81(6):2209-15.
66. Vahl N, Jorgensen JO, Skjaerbaek C, et al. Abdominal adiposity rather than age and sex predicts mass and regularity of GH secretion in healthy adults. Am J Physiol. 1997 Jun;272(6 Pt 1):E1108-16.
67. Scacchi M, Pincelli AI, Cavagnini F. Growth hormone in obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1999 Mar;23(3):260-71.
68. Savastano S, Di Somma C, Belfiore A, et al. Growth hormone status in morbidly obese subjects and correlation with body composition. J Endocrinol Invest. 2006 Jun;29(6):536-43.
69. Pritzlaff CJ, Wideman L, Weltman JY, et al. Impact of acute exercise intensity on pulsatile growth hormone release in men. J Appl Physiol. 1999 Aug;87(2):498-504.
70. Goto K, Ishii N, Kizuka T, Takamatsu K. The impact of metabolic stress on hormonal responses and muscular adaptations. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 Jun;37(6):955-63.