1. Holub BJ. Clinical nutrition: 4. Omega-3 fatty acids in cardiovascular care. CMAJ. 2002 Mar 5;166(5):608-15.
2. Angerer P, von Schacky C. n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the cardiovascular system. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2000 Feb;11(1):57-63.
3. Schmidt EB, Skou HA, Christensen JH, Dyerberg J. N-3 fatty acids from fish and coronary artery disease: implications for public health. Public Health Nutr. 2000 Mar;3(1):91-8.
4. Park Y, Park S, Yi H, et al. Low level of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in erythrocytes is a risk factor for both acute ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke in Koreans. Nutr Res. 2009 Dec;29(12):825-30.
5. Marik PE, Varon J. Omega-3 dietary supplements and the risk of cardiovascular events: a systematic review. Clin Cardiol. 2009 Jul;32(7):365-72.
6. Vedin I, Cederholm T, Freund Levi Y, et al. Effects of docosahexaenoic acid-rich n-3 fatty acid supplementation on cytokine release from blood mononuclear leukocytes: the OmegAD study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jun;87(6):1616-22.
7. Carter AM. Inflammation, thrombosis and acute coronary syndromes. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2005 Oct;2(3):113-21.
8. Pauwels EK, Kostkiewicz M. Fatty acid facts, Part III: Cardiovascular disease, or, a fish diet is not fishy. Drug News Perspect. 2008 Dec;21(10):552-61.
9. Denkins Y, Kempf D, Ferniz M, Nileshwar S, Marchetti D. Role of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on cyclooxygenase-2 metabolism in brain-metastatic melanoma. J Lipid Res. 2005 Jun;46(6):1278-84.
10. De Lorgeril M, Salen P. Use and misuse of dietary fatty acids for the prevention and treatment of coronary heart disease. Reprod Nutr Dev. 2004 May-Jun;44(3):283-8.
11. Yudkin JS. Inflammation, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome. Horm Metab Res. 2007 Oct;39(10):707-9.
12. Pittet YK, Berger MM, Pluess TT, Voirol P, Revelly JP, Tappy L, Chioléro RL. Blunting the response to endotoxin in healthy subjects: effects of various doses of intravenous fish oil. Intensive Care Med. 2010 Feb;36(2):289-95.
13. Lev EI, Solodky A, Harel N, et al. Treatment of Aspirin-Resistant Patients With Omega-3 Fatty Acids Versus Aspirin Dose Escalation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Jan 12;55(2):114-21.
14. Franceschini G, Calabresi L, Maderna P, Galli C, Gianfranceschi G, Sirtori CR. Omega-3 fatty acids selectively raise high-density lipoprotein 2 levels in healthy volunteers. Metabolism. 1991 Dec;40(12):1283-6.
15. von Schacky C, Angerer P, Kothny W, Theisen K, Mudra H. The effect of dietary omega-3 fatty acids on coronary atherosclerosis. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1999 Apr 6;130(7):554-62.
16. Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results of the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell’Infarto miocardico. Lancet. 1999 Aug 7;354(9177):447-55.
17. León H, Shibata MC, Sivakumaran S, Dorgan M, Chatterley T, Tsuyuki RT.Effect of fish oil on arrhythmias and mortality: systematic review.BMJ. 2008 Dec 23;337:a2931.
18. Holub BJ, Wlodek M, Rowe W, Piekarski J. Correlation of omega-3 levels in serum phospholipid from 2053 human blood samples with key fatty acid ratios. Nutr J. 2009;8:58.
19. Danaei G, Ding EL, Mozaffarian D, et al. The preventable causes of death in the United States: comparative risk assessment of dietary, lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors. PLoS Med. 2009 Apr 28;6(4):e1000058.
20. Available at: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Omega-3-deficiency-causes-96-000-US-deaths-per-year-say-researchers. Accessed February 24, 2010.
21. Heinrichs SC. Dietary omega-3 fatty acid supplementation for optimizing neuronal structure and function. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Jan 28.
22. McNamara RK. Membrane omega-3 Fatty Acid deficiency as a preventable risk factor for comorbid coronary heart disease in major depressive disorder. Cardiovasc Psychiatry Neurol. 2009;2009:362795.
23. Das UN. Can essential fatty acids reduce the burden of disease(s)? Lipids Health Dis. 2008;7:9.
24. Lindberg M, Saltvedt I, Sletvold O, Bjerve KS. Long-chain n-3 fatty acids and mortality in elderly patients. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Sep;88(3):722-9.
25. Dewailly E, Blanchet C, Gingras S, Lemieux S, Holub BJ. Fish consumption and blood lipids in three ethnic groups of Quebec (Canada). Lipids. 2003 Apr;38(4):359-65.
26. Bradbury KE, Skeaff CM, Green TJ, Gray AR, Crowe FL. The serum fatty acids myristic acid and linoleic acid are better predictors of serum cholesterol concentrations when measured as molecular percentages rather than as absolute concentrations. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Feb;91(2):398-405.
27. Hjartaker A, Lund E, Bjerve KS. Serum phospholipid fatty acid composition and habitual intake of marine foods registered by a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1997 Nov;51(11):736-42.
28. Kuriki K, Nagaya T, Tokudome Y, et al. Plasma concentrations of (n-3) highly unsaturated fatty acids are good biomarkers of relative dietary fatty acid intakes: a cross-sectional study. J Nutr. 2003 Nov;133(11):3643-50.
29. Simon JA, Hodgkins ML, Browner WS, Neuhaus JM, Bernert JT, Jr., Hulley SB. Serum fatty acids and the risk of coronary heart disease. Am J Epidemiol. 1995 Sep 1;142(5):469-76.
30. Holub DJ, Holub BJ. Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oils and cardiovascular disease. Mol Cell Biochem. 2004 Aug;263(1-2):217-25.
31. Lemaitre RN, King IB, Mozaffarian D, Kuller LH, Tracy RP, Siscovick DS. n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids, fatal ischemic heart disease, and nonfatal myocardial infarction in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Feb;77(2):319-25.
32. Amiano P, Dorronsoro M, de Renobales M, Ruiz de Gordoa JC, Irigoien I. Very-long-chain omega-3 fatty acids as markers for habitual fish intake in a population consuming mainly lean fish:
the EPIC cohort of Gipuzkoa. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001 Oct;55(10):827-32.
33. Kobayashi M, Sasaki S, Kawabata T, Hasegawa K, Akabane M, Tsugane S. Single measurement of serum phospholipid fatty acid as a biomarker of specific fatty acid intake in middle-aged Japanese men. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001 Aug;55(8):643-50.
34. Nikkari T, Luukkainen P, Pietinen P, Puska P. Fatty acid composition of serum lipid fractions in relation to gender and quality of dietary fat. Ann Med. 1995 Aug;27(4):491-8.
35. Albert CM, Campos H, Stampfer MJ, et al. Blood levels of long-chain n-3 fatty acids and the risk of sudden death. N Engl J Med. 2002 Apr 11;346(15):1113-8.
36. Harris WS, Von Schacky C. The Omega-3 Index: a new risk factor for death from coronary heart disease? Prev Med. 2004 Jul;39(1):212-20.
37. von Schacky C, Harris WS. Cardiovascular benefits of omega-3 fatty acids. Cardiovasc Res. 2007 Jan 15;73(2):310-5.
38. Rizzo AM, Montorfano G, Negroni M, et al. A rapid method for determining arachidonic:eicosapentaenoic acid ratios in whole blood lipids: correlation with erythrocyte membrane ratios and validation in a large Italian population of various ages and pathologies. Lipids Health Dis. 2010 Jan 27;9(1):7.
39. Russo GL. Dietary n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: from biochemistry to clinical implications in cardiovascular prevention. Biochem Pharmacol. 2009 Mar 15;77(6):937-46.
40. Burns T, Maciejewski SR, Hamilton WR, Zheng M, Mooss AN, Hilleman DE. Effect of omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on the arachidonic acid:eicosapentaenoic acid ratio. Pharmacotherapy. 2007 May;27(5):633-8.
41. de Mello VD, Erkkilä AT, Schwab US, et al. The effect of fatty or lean fish intake on inflammatory gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with coronary heart disease.Eur J Nutr. 2009 Dec;48(8):447-55.
42. Kajikawa S, Harada T, Kawashima A, Imada K, Mizuguchi K. Highly purified eicosapentaenoic acid prevents the progression of hepatic steatosis by repressing monounsaturated fatty acid synthesis in high-fat/high-sucrose diet-fed mice. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2009 Apr;80(4):229-38.
43. Raper NR, Cronin FJ, Exler J. Omega-3 fatty acid content of the US food supply. J Am Coll Nutr. 1992 Jun;11(3):304-8.
44. Kris-Etherton PM, Taylor DS, Yu-Poth S, et al. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in the food chain in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jan;71(1 Suppl):179S-88S.
45. Connor WE. Importance of n-3 fatty acids in health and disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jan;71(1 Suppl):171S-5S.
46. Nordoy A, Bonaa KH, Sandset PM, Hansen JB, Nilsen H. Effect of omega-3 fatty acids and simvastatin on hemostatic risk factors and postprandial hyperlipemia in patients with combined hyperlipemia. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000 Jan;20(1):259-65.
47. Leaf A, Kang JX, Xiao YF, Billman GE, Voskuyl RA. The antiarrhythmic and anticonvulsant effects of dietary N-3 fatty acids. J Membr Biol. 1999 Nov 1;172(1):1-11.
48. Dekker JM, Crow RS, Folsom AR, et al. Low heart rate variability in a 2-minute rhythm strip predicts risk of coronary heart disease and mortality from several causes: the ARIC Study. Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities. Circulation. 2000 Sep 12;102(11):1239-44.
49. Christensen JH, Gustenhoff P, Korup E, et al. Effect of fish oil on heart rate variability in survivors of myocardial infarction: a double blind randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 1996 Mar 16;312(7032):677-8.
50. Goodfellow J, Bellamy MF, Ramsey MW, Jones CJ, Lewis MJ. Dietary supplementation with marine omega-3 fatty acids improve systemic large artery endothelial function in subjects with hypercholesterolemia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000 Feb;35(2):265-70.
51. Emken EA, Adlof RO, Gulley RM. Dietary linoleic acid influences desaturation and acylation of deuterium-labeled linoleic and linolenic acids in young adult males. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994 Aug 4;1213(3):277-88.
52. Weaver KL, Ivester P, Chilton JA, Wilson MD, Pandey P, Chilton FH. The content of favorable and unfavorable polyunsaturated fatty acids found in commonly eaten fish. J Am Diet Assoc. 2008 Jul;108(7):1178-85.