1. Spark RF. Testosterone, diabetes mellitus, and the metabolic syndrome. Curr Urol Rep. 2007 Nov;8(6):467-71.
2. Laaksonen DE, Niskanen L, Punnonen K, et al. Testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin predict the metabolic syndrome and diabetes in middle-aged men. Diabetes Care. 2004 May;27(5):1036-41.
3. Haider A, Gooren LJ, Padungtod P, Saad F. Concurrent improvement of the metabolic syndrome and lower urinary tract symptoms upon normalisation of plasma testosterone levels in hypogonadal elderly men. Andrologia. 2009 Feb;41(1):7-13.
4. Dhindsa S, Miller MG, McWhirter CL, et al. Testosterone concentrations in diabetic and nondiabetic obese men. Diabetes Care. 2010 Jun;33(6):1186-92.
5. Available at: http://www.livescience.com/health/obesity-lowers-testosterone-100503.html. Accessed June 23, 2010.
6. Boyanov MA, Boneva Z, Christov VG. Testosterone supplementation in men with type 2 diabetes, visceral obesity and partial androgen deficiency. Aging Male. 2003 Mar;6(1):1-7.
7. Lunenfeld B. Testosterone deficiency and the metabolic syndrome. Aging Male. 2007 Jun;10(2):53-6.
8. Bhasin S, Parker RA, Sattler F, et al. Effects of testosterone supplementation on whole body and regional fat mass and distribution in human immunodeficiency virus-infected men with abdominal obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Mar;92(3):1049-57.
9. Chen RY, Wittert GA, Andrews GR. Relative androgen deficiency in relation to obesity and metabolic status in older men. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2006 Jul;8(4):429-35.
10. Cohen PG. Obesity in men: the hypogonadal-estrogen receptor relationship and its effect on glucose homeostasis. Med Hypotheses. 2008;70(2):358-60.
11. Zumoff B. Hormonal abnormalities in obesity. Acta Med Scand Suppl. 1988;723:153-60.
12. Diaz-Arjonilla M, Schwarcz M, Swerdloff RS, Wang C. Obesity, low testosterone levels and erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res. 2009 Mar-Apr;21(2):89-98.
13. Kaplan SA, Meehan AG, Shah A. The age related decrease in testosterone is significantly exacerbated in obese men with the metabolic syndrome. What are the implications for the relatively high incidence of erectile dysfunction observed in these men? J Urol. 2006 Oct;176(4 Pt 1):1524-7; discussion 27-8.
14. Schubert M, Jockenhovel F. Testosterone and the metabolic syndrome. Urologe A. 2010 Jan;49(1):47-50.
15. Braga-Basaria M, Dobs AS, Muller DC, et al. Metabolic syndrome in men with prostate cancer undergoing long-term androgen-deprivation therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Aug 20;24(24):3979-83.
16. Nuver J, Smit AJ, Wolffenbuttel BH, et al. The metabolic syndrome and disturbances in hormone levels in long-term survivors of disseminated testicular cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Jun 1;23(16):3718-25.
17. Makhsida N, Shah J, Yan G, Fisch H, Shabsigh R. Hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome: implications for testosterone therapy. J Urol. 2005 Sep;174(3):827-34.
18. Muller M, Grobbee DE, den Tonkelaar I, Lamberts SW, van der Schouw YT. Endogenous sex hormones and metabolic syndrome in aging men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 May;90(5):2618-23.
19. Corrales JJ, Burgo RM, Garca-Berrocal B, et al. Partial androgen deficiency in aging type 2 diabetic men and its relationship to glycemic control. Metabolism. 2004 May;53(5):666-72.
20. Anawalt BD, Merriam GR. Neuroendocrine aging in men. Andropause and somatopause. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2001 Sep;30(3):647-69.
21. Dandona P, Rosenberg MT. A practical guide to male hypogonadism in the primary care setting. Int J Clin Pract. 2010 May;64(6):682-96.
22. Tong PC, Ho CS, Yeung VT, et al. Association of testosterone, insulin-like growth factor-I, and C-reactive protein with metabolic syndrome in Chinese middle-aged men with a family history of type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Dec;90(12):6418-23.
23. Yassin AA, Saad F, Gooren LJ. Metabolic syndrome, testosterone deficiency and erectile dysfunction never come alone. Andrologia. 2008 Aug;40(4):259-64.
24. Kapoor D, Malkin CJ, Channer KS, Jones TH. Androgens, insulin resistance and vascular disease in men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2005 Sep;63(3):239-50.
25. Stanworth RD, Jones TH. Testosterone in obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Front Horm Res. 2009;37:74-90.
26. Rice D, Brannigan RE, Campbell RK, et al. Men’s health, low testosterone, and diabetes: individualized treatment and a multidisciplinary approach. Diabetes Educ. 2008 Nov-Dec;34 Suppl 5:97S-112S; quiz 13S-4S.
27. Saad F. The role of testosterone in type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome in men. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2009 Nov;53(8):901-7.
28. Chubb SA, Hyde Z, Almeida OP, et al. Lower sex hormone-binding globulin is more strongly associated with metabolic syndrome than lower total testosterone in older men: the Health in Men Study. Eur J Endocrinol. 2008 Jun;158(6):785-92.
29. Dandona P, Dhindsa S, Chaudhuri A, Bhatia V, Topiwala S, Mohanty P. Hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism in type 2 diabetes, obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Curr Mol Med. 2008 Dec;8(8):816-28.
30. Traish AM, Saad F, Guay A. The dark side of testosterone deficiency: II. Type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. J Androl. 2009 Jan-Feb;30(1):23-32.
31. Rabijewski M, Papierska L, Kozakowski J, Zgliczynski W. The relationship between androgens concentrations (testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate) and metabolic syndrome in non-obese elderly men. Endokrynol Pol. 2007 Nov-Dec;58(6):496-504.
32. Niskanen L, Laaksonen DE, Punnonen K, Mustajoki P, Kaukua J, Rissanen A. Changes in sex hormone-binding globulin and testosterone during weight loss and weight maintenance in abdominally obese men with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2004 May;6(3):208-15.
33. Blouin K, Despres JP, Couillard C, et al. Contribution of age and declining androgen levels to features of the metabolic syndrome in men. Metabolism. 2005 Aug;54(8):1034-40.
34. Laaksonen DE, Niskanen L, Punnonen K, et al. Sex hormones, inflammation and the metabolic syndrome: a population-based study. Eur J Endocrinol. 2003 Dec;149(6):601-8.
35. Goncharov NP, Katsya GV, Chagina NA, Gooren LJ. Three definitions of metabolic syndrome applied to a sample of young obese men and their relation with plasma testosterone. Aging Male. 2008 Sep;11(3):118-22.
36. Heufelder AE, Saad F, Bunck MC, Gooren L. Fifty-two-week treatment with diet and exercise plus transdermal testosterone reverses the metabolic syndrome and improves glycemic control in men with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes and subnormal plasma testosterone. J Androl. 2009 Nov-Dec;30(6):726-33.
37. Saad F, Gooren L, Haider A, Yassin A. Effects of testosterone gel followed by parenteral testosterone undecanoate on sexual dysfunction and on features of the metabolic syndrome. Andrologia. 2008 Feb;40(1):44-8.
38. Morgentaler A. Rapidly shifting concepts regarding androgens and prostate cancer. ScientificWorldJournal. 2009;9:685-90.
39. Gotay CC. Cancer prevention: major initiatives and looking into the future. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2010 Apr;10(2):143-54.
40. Tsugane S, Inoue M. Insulin resistance and cancer: epidemiological evidence. Cancer Sci. 2010 May;101(5):1073-9.