1. Geiser K, Commoner B. Materials Matter: Toward a Sustainable Materials Policy. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press; 2001.
2. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics. Chemical Hazard Data Availability Study: What Do We Really Know About the Safety of High Production Volume Chemicals? Washington, D.C.: April 1998.
3. Onstot J, Ayling R, Stanley J. Characterization of HRGC/MSUnidentified Peaks from the Analysis of Human Adipose Tissue. Volume 1: Technical Approach. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Toxic Substances; 1987.
4. Department of Health and Human Services. Third National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; July 2005.
5. Huseini HF, Larijani B, Heshmat R, et al. The efficacy of Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn. (silymarin) in the treatment of type II diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial. Phytother Res. 2006 Dec;20(12):1036-9.
6. Vidlar A, Vostalova J, Ulrichova J, et al. The safety and efficacy of a silymarin and selenium combination in men after radical prostatectomy-a six month placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2010 Sep;154(3):239-44
7. Ramasamy K, Agarwal R. Multitargeted therapy of cancer by silymarin. Cancer Lett. 2008 Oct 8;269(2):352-62.
8. Murata N, Murakami K, Ozawa Y, et al. Silymarin attenuated the amyloid plaque burden and improved behavioral abnormalities in an Alzheimer’s disease mouse model. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010 Nov;74(11):2299-306.
9. Friedman SE, McQuaid KR, Grendell JH. Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Gastroenterology. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2002.
10. Chun LJ, Tong MJ, Busuttil RW, Hiatt JR. Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity and acute liver failure. Clin Gastroenterol. 2009 Apr;43(4):342-9.
11. Lieber CS, Leo MA, Cao Q, Ren C, DeCarli LM. Silymarin retards the progression of alcohol-induced hepatic fibrosis in baboons. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2003 Oct;37(4):336-9.
12. Szilárd S, Szentgyörgyi D, Demeter I. Protective effect of Legalon in workers exposed to organic solvents. Acta Med Hung. 1988;45(2):249-56.
13. Shaarawy SM, Tohamy AA, Elgendy SM, et al. Protective effects of garlic and silymarin on NDEA-induced rats hepatotoxicity. Int J Biol Sci. 2009 Aug;5(6):549-57.
14. Eminzade S, Uras F, Izzettin FV. Silymarin protects liver against toxic effects of anti-tuberculosis drugs in experimental animals. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2008 Jul 5;5:18.
15. Jayaraj R, Deb U, Bhaskar AS, Prasad GB, Rao PV. Hepatoprotective efficacy of certain flavonoids against microcystin induced toxicity in mice. Envir Toxicol. 2007;22(5):472-9.
16. Saller R, Brignoli R, Melzer J, Meier R. An updated systematic review with meta-analysis for the clinical evidence of silymarin. Forsch Komplementmed. 2008 Feb;15(1):9-20.
17. Saller R, Meier R, Brignoli R. The use of silymarin in the treatment of liver diseases. Drugs. 2001;61(14):2035-63.
18. Available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/422884. Accessed May 17, 2011.
19. Feher J, Lengyel G. Silymarin in the prevention and treatment of liver diseases and primary liver cancer. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2001 Apr 5.
20. Laekeman G, De Coster S, De Meyer K. St. Mary’s Thistle: an overview. J Pharm Belg. 2003;58(1):28-31.
21. Ferenci P, Dragosics B, Dittrich H, et al. Randomized controlled trial of silymarin treatment in patients with cirrhosis of the liver. J Hepatol. 1989;9:105-13.
22. El-Kamary SS, Shardell MD, Abdel-Hamid M, et al. A randomized controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of silymarin on symptoms, signs and biomarkers of acute hepatitis. Phytomedicine. 2009 May;16(5): 391-400.
23. Mayer KE, Myers RP, Lee SS. Silymarin treatment of viral hepatitis: a systematic review. J Viral Hepat. 2005 Nov;12(6):559-67.
24. Tanamly MD, Tadros F, Labeeb S, et al. Randomised double-blinded trial evaluating silymarin for chronic hepatitis C in an Egyptian village: study description and 12-month results. Dig Liver Dis. 2004 Nov;36(11):752-9.
25. Polyak SJ, Morishima C, Lohmann V, Pal S, Lee DY, Liu Y, et al. Identification of hepatoprotective flavonolignans from silymarin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010 Mar;107(13):5995-9.
26. York LW, Puthalapattu S, Wu GY. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and low-carbohydrate diets. Annu Rev Nutr. 2009;29:365-79.
27. Browning JD, Baker JA, Rogers T, Davis J, Satapati S, Burgess SC. Short-term weight loss and hepatic triglyceride reduction: evidence of a metabolic advantage with dietary carbohydrate restriction. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 May;93(5):1048-52.
28. Kechagias S, Ernersson A, Dahlqvist O, et al. Fast-food-based hyper-alimentation can induce rapid and profound elevation of serum alanine aminotranferase in healthy subjects. Gut. 2008 May;57(5):649-54.
29. Hajaghamohammadi AA, Ziaee A, Rafiei R. The efficacy of silymarin in decreasing transaminase activities in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Hepatitis Monthly. 2008;8(3):191.
30. Burgess CA. Silybum marianum. J Pharmacol Soc Wisc. 2003 Mar-Apr:38-40.
31. Pradhan SC, Girish C. Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine. Indian J Med Res. 2006 Nov;124(5):491-504.
32. Brantley SJ, Oberlies NH, Kroll DJ, Paine MF. Two flavonolignans from milk thistle (Silybum marianum) inhibit CYP2C9-mediated warfarin metabolism at clinically achievable concentrations. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Mar;332(3):1081-7.
33. Abenavoli L, Capasso R, Milic N, Capasso F. Milk thistle in liver diseases: past, present, future. Phytother Res. 2010 Oct;24(10):1423-32.
34. Tsai MJ, Liao JF, Lin DY, et al. Silymarin protects spinal cord and cortical cells against oxidative stress and lipopolysaccharide stimulation. Neurochem Int. 2010 Dec; 57(8):867-75.
35. Hou YC, Liou KT, Chern CM, et al. Preventive effect of silymarin in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion-induced brain injury in rats possibly through impairing NF-B and STAT-1 activation. Phytomedicine. 2010 Oct;17(2):963-73.
36. Wallace S, Vaughn K, Stewart BW, et al. Milk thistle extracts inhibit the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and subsequent scavenger receptor-dependent monocyte adhesion. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Jun;56(11):3966-72.
37. Kang JS, Park SK, Yang KH, Kim HM. Silymarin inhibits TNF-alpha-induced expression of adhesion molecules in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. FEBS Lett. 2003 Aug;550(1-3):89-93.
38. Bialecka, M. The effect of bioflavonoids and lecithin on the course of experimental atherosclerosis in rabbits. Ann Acad Med Stetin. 1997 Jan;43:41-56.
39. Krecman V, Skottová N, Walterová D, Ulrichová J, Simánek V. Silymarin inhibits the development of diet-induced hypercholesterolemia in rats. Planta Med. 1998 Mar;64(2):138-42.
40. Sonnenbichler J, Scalera F, Sonnenbichler I, et al. Stimulatory effects of silibinin and silicristin from the milk thistle Silybum marianum on kidney cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999 Sep;290(3):1375-83.
41. Roy S, Kaur M, Agarwal C, Tecklenburg M, Sclafani RA, Agarwal R. P21 and p27 induction by silibinin is essential for its cell cycle arrest effect in prostate carcinoma cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007; 6(10):2696-707.
42. Ramasamy K, Dwyer-Nield LD, Serkova NJ, et al. Silibinin prevents lung tumorigenesis in wild-type but not in iNOS-/- mice: potential of real-time micro-CT in lung cancer chemoprevention studies. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Feb 15; 17(4):753-61.
43. Gu M, Singh RP, Dhanalakshmi S, Agarwal C, Agarwal R. Silibinin inhibits inflammatory and angiogenic attributes in photocarcinogenesis in SKH-1 hairless mice. Cancer Res. 2007;67:3483-91.
44. Hogan FS, Krishnegowda NK, Mikhailova M, Kahlenberg MS. Flavonoid, silibinin, inhibits proliferation and promotes cell-cycle arrest of human colon cancer. J Surg Res. 2007 Nov;143(1):58-65.
45. Cui W, Gu F, Hu K-Q. Effects and mechanisms of silibinin on human hepatocellular carcinoma xenografts in nude mice. World J Gastroenterol. 2009 Apr; 15(16):1943-50.
46. Davis-Searles PR, Nakanishi Y, Kim NC, et al. Milk thistle and prostate cancer: differential effects of pure flavonolignans from Silybum marianum on antiproliferative end points in human prostate carcinoma cells. Cancer Res. 2005 May;65(10):4448-57.
47. Deep G, Oberlies NH, Kroll DJ, Agarwal R. Identifying the differential effects of silymarin constituents on cell growth and cell cycle regulatory molecules in human prostate cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2008 Jul;123(1):41-50.
48. Deep G, Oberlies NH, Kroll DJ, Agarwal R. Isosilybin B and isosilybin A inhibit growth, induce G1 arrest and cause apoptosis in human prostate cancer LNCaP and 22Rv1 cells. Carcinogenesis. 2007 Jul;28(7):1533-42.
49. Greenlee H, Abascal K, Yarnell E, Ladas E. Clinical applications of Silybum marianum in oncology. Integr Cancer Ther. 2007 Jun;6(2):158-65.