1. Shamir L, Ling SM, Scott WW Jr, et al. Knee x-ray image analysis method for automated detection of osteoarthritis. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2009 Feb;56(2):407-15. 2. Zhang Y, Niu J, Kelly-Hayes M, Chaisson CE, Aliabadi P, Felson DT. Prevalence of symptomatic hand osteoarthritis and its impact on functional status among the elderly, The Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2002;156:1021-7. 3. Scott DL, Berry H, Capell H, et al. The long-term effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2000 Oct;39(10):1095-101.
4. Crowley DC, Lau FC, Sharma P, et al. Safety and efficacy of undenatured type II collagen in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a clinical trial. Int J Med Sci. 2009;6(6):312-21.
5. Goldring SR, Scanzello CR. Plasma proteins take their toll on the joint in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012 Mar 5;14(2):111.
6. Deparle LA, Gupta RC, Canerdy TD, et al. Efficacy and safety of glycosylated undenatured type-II collagen (UC-II®) in therapy of arthritic dogs. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Aug;28(4):385-90.
7. Peal A, D’Altilio M, Simms C, et al. Therapeutic efficacy and safety of undenatured type-II collagen (UC-II®) alone or in combination with (-)-hydroxycitric acid and chromemate in arthritic dogs. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2007 Jun;30(3):275-8.
8. Gupta RC, Canerdy TD, Skaggs P, et al. Therapeutic efficacy of undenatured type-II collagen (UC-II®) in comparison to glucosamine and chondroitin in arthritic horses. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Dec;32(6):577-84.
9. Trentham DE, Dynesius-Trentham RA, Orav EJ, et al. Effects of oral administration of type II collagen on rheumatoid arthritis. Science. 1993 Sep 24;261(5129):1727-30.
10. Barnett ML, Kremer JM, St Clair EW, et al. Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with oral type II collagen. Results of a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum. 1998 Feb;41(2):290-7.
11. Barnett ML, Combitchi D, Trentham DE. A pilot trial of oral type II collagen in the treatment of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1996 Apr;39(4):623-8.
12. Wei W, Zhang L-L, Xu J-H. A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, controlled phase III clinical trial of chicken type II collagen in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Research & Therapy. 2009;11:R180.
13. D’Altilio M, Peal A, Alvey M, et al. Therapeutic efficacy and safety of undenatured type II collagen singly or in combination with glucosamine and chondroitin in arthritic dogs. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2007;17(4):189-96.
14. Gupta RC, Canerdy TD, Lindley J, et al. Comparative therapeutic efficacy and safety of type-II collagen (UC-II®), glucosamine and chondroitin in arthritic dogs: pain evaluation by ground force plate. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. Epub 2011 May 30.
15. Bagchi D, Misner B, Bagchi M, et al. Effects of orally administered undenatured type II collagen against arthritic inflammatory diseases: a mechanistic exploration. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res. 2002;22(3-4):101-10.
16. Heinegard D, Saxne T. The role of the cartilage matrix in osteoarthritis. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011 Jan;7(1):50-6.
17. Cohen ES, Bodmer HC. Cytotoxic T lymphocytes recognize and lyse chondrocytes under inflammatory, but not non-inflammatory conditions. Immunology. 2003 May;109(1):8-14.
18. Wang Q, Rozelle AL, Lepus CM, et al. Identification of a central role for complement in osteoarthritis. Nature Medicine. Nov 6 2011.
19. Adatia A, Rainsford KD, Kean WF. Osteoarthritis of the knee and hip. Part I: aetiology and pathogenesis as a basis for pharmacotherapy. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2012 May;64(5):617-25. 20. Tarkowski A, Klareskog L, Carlsten H, Herberts P, Koopman WJ. Secretion of antibodies to types I and II collagen by synovial tissue cells in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1989 Sep;32(9):1087-92.
21. Singh G, Wu O, Langhorne P, Madhok R. Risk of acute myocardial infarction with nonselective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a meta-analysis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8(5):R153.
22. Thomas MC. Diuretics, ACE inhibitors and NSAIDs—the triple whammy. Med J Australia. Feb 2000;172(4):184-5.
23. Kearney PM, Baigent C, Godwin J, Halls H, Emberson JR, Patrono C. Do selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors and traditional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of atherothrombosis? Meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ (Clinical research ed.) June 2006;332(7553):1302-8.
24. Trelle S, Reichenbach S, Wandel S, et al. Cardiovascular safety of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs: network meta-analysis. BMJ (Clinical research ed.) 2011 Jan 11;342:c7086.
25. Rennard BO, Ertl RF, Gossman GL, Robbins RA, Rennard SI. Chicken soup inhibits neutrophil chemotaxis in vitro. Chest. 2000 Oct;118(4):1150-7.
26. Gupta RC, Barnes M, Minniear J. et al. Pain reduction measured by ground force plate in arthritic dogs treated with type-II collagen. Presented at Society of Toxicology 48th Annual Meeting, March 2009. 108(1);Abstract 769:159.
27. Cremer MA, Rosloniec EF, Kang AH. The cartilage collagens: a review of their structure, organization, and role in the pathogenesis of experimental arthritis in animals and in human rheumatic disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 1998 Mar;76(3-4):275-88.
28. Corthay A, Backlund J, Broddefalk J, et al. Epitope glycosylation plays a critical role for T cell recognition of type II collagen in collagen-induced arthritis. Eur J Immunol. 1998 Aug;28(8):2580-90.
29. Meyer O. Oral immunomodulation therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Joint Bone Spine. 2000;67(5):384-92.
30. Park KS, Park MJ, Cho ML, et al. Type II collagen oral tolerance; mechanism and role in collagen-induced arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Mod Rheumatol. 2009;19(6):581-9.
31. Min SY, Park KS, Cho ML, et al. Antigen-induced, tolerogenic CD11c+,CD11b+ dendritic cells are abundant in Peyer’s patches during the induction of oral tolerance to type II collagen and suppress experimental collagen-induced arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Mar;54(3):887-98.
32. Weiner HL. Oral tolerance: immune mechanisms and treatment of autoimmune diseases. Immunol Today. 1997 Jul;18(7):335-43.
33. Zhu P, Li XY, Wang HK, et al. Oral administration of type-II collagen peptide 250-270 suppresses specific cellular and humoral immune response in collagen-induced arthritis. Clin Immunol. 2007 Jan;122(1):75-84.
34. Nagler-Anderson C, Bober LA, Robinson ME, Siskind GW, Thorbecke GJ. Suppression of type II collagen-induced arthritis by intragastric administration of soluble type II collagen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986 Oct;83(19):7443-6.
35. Faria AM, Weiner HL. Oral tolerance. Immunol Rev. 2005;206:232-59.
36. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/arthrits.htm. Accessed April 3, 2012.
37. Lanas A, Garcia-Tell G, Armada B, Oteo-Alvaro A. Prescription patterns and appropriateness of NSAID therapy according to gastrointestinal risk and cardiovascular history in patients with diagnoses of osteoarthritis. BMC Med. 2011 Apr;14(9):38.