LE Magazine October 1998
NEW ORAL SPRAY
Gum deterioration is the leading cause of tooth loss. If it were not for the preventive successes of modern dentistry, tooth loss before age 40 would be the rule rather than the exception. But, despite the best efforts of individuals and their dentists, some people still suffer from gingivitis, characterized by swollen, bleeding and sometimes painful gums.
Fortunately, there are specific nutrients that have been shown to prevent and alleviate gingivitis, but until now, no one has put all of these nutrients into one form that could be effectively applied directly to the gums.
A pioneering physician, Dr. Jonathan Wright, and his associate, Dr. Donal Carter, have formulated a topical mouth spray, MistORAL, that has produced significant results in those suffering from periodontal disease. The active ingredients in MistORAL are substantiated in peer-reviewed scientific studies, and many of the so-called "inactive" ingredients also have been successfully used by nutritionally oriented dentists to treat various gum diseases.
MistORAL provides B vitamins such as folic acid to keep the gums healthy and vital; coenzyme Q10, recommended by many dentists for periodontal and gum disease; a broad-spectrum anti-bacterial combination, including green tea extract, to kill the bacteria that are the root cause of gum disease; specific nutrients to overcome inflammation; and vitamin K1 to tame excessive bleeding, protect against decay, and facilitate healthy gum metabolism.
The eight active ingredients are documented to prevent and treat gum disease, plaque formation and tooth decay. MistORAL contains 21 additional ingredients that have been used in nutritional dentistry to prevent and treat a wide range of oral diseases. These ingredients are emulsified into a patented delivery system that guarantees stability and resultant action.
Folic acid has been clinically tested in mouthwash solutions to assess its benefit in treating gingivitis. One study showed that after four weeks of using a folic acid mouthwash, significant improvement occurred, compared with placebo. However, in this controlled study involving 60 patients, the taking of dietary folic acid supplements did not produce results, which suggests the importance of applying folic acid topically to the gums (Journal of Clinical Periodontology (11: 619-28, 1984).
In a double-blind study-that is, a medical study in which neither the subjects nor the persons administering the treatment knows which treatment a subject is receiving-30 pregnant women received folic-acid mouthwash, folic-acid tablets or placebo. After 28 days, folate serum levels increased significantly in both groups receiving folic acid, but only the group receiving the folic-acid mouthwash showed a highly significant improvement in a gingival index. There were no significant changes in the plaque index (Journal of Clinical Periodontology (9:27580, 1982).
In another study, 30 patients with normal blood folate levels were studied in a clinical setting. One group rinsed their mouths daily with a folate solution and the other used a placebo mouth rinse. After 60 days, the group receiving the folic-acid rinse showed significant improvement in gingival health, compare with the placebo group (Journal of Oral Medicine (33:20-22,1978).
An experimental study on contraceptive users with normal plasma folate levels demonstrated improved gingival health after receiving supplementation with topical folic acid for 60 days (Journal of Preventive Dentistry, 6:221, 1980). A double-blind study was conducted on 30 patients, comparing 4,000 micrograms of ingested folic acid with placebo. After one month, based on plaque and gingival indices, folic-acid supplementation appeared to increase the resistance of the gingiva to local irritants, leading to a reduction in inflammation (Journal of Periodontology, 47:667-8, 1976).
The Japanese have long used coenzyme Q10 as a therapy to treat gingivitis, and some people apply the oil from CoQ10 soft gel capsules directly to the lining of their gums. CoQ10 reduces swelling, bleeding, pain, and helps promote the attachment of gum tissue to the bone. A special oil-based suspension has been developed for the MistORAL spray that enables the CoQ10 to adhere to the gums.
Green tea extract has been shown to topically inhibit concentrations of Streptococcus mutans bacteria that have been implicated in the development of dental caries, the decay and breaking down of teeth and their bone support. The scientists suggested that certain extracts from green tea might be especially helpful in preventing tooth decay by preventing the development of bacterial plaque (Chem Pharm Bull-Japan, Mar 1990, 38 ).
In a Chinese study, green tea extract was used to rinse and brush the teeth. The study demonstrated that Streptococcus mutans could be inhibited completely after contact with green tea extract for 5 minutes. There was no drug resistance after repeat cultures. The clinical effects showed that the plaque index and gingival index decreased significantly after green tea extract was used. The scientists concluded that green tea extract is an effective agent to prevent dental caries (Chiang Hsueh Tsa Chih Jul 1993, 28 ).
MistORAL's broad spectrum of nutrients not only helps prevent diseases of the mouth, including gingivitis and tooth decay, but may help stop gum bleeding within days of using this new oral spray. Some people carry these 2-ounce bottles with them so they can spray their mouths after eating out.
We have heard testimonials that MistORAL will tighten loose teeth. That's a pretty strong claim, and although this product addresses some serious oral problems, the Life Extension Buyers Club is offering MistORAL as a preventive tool to maintain a stable and healthy environment in their mouth.
The best-documented area of preventive medicine is modern dentistry. MistORAL adds a potent new weapon to the arsenal of oral hygiene therapies available to maintain healthy gum tissue. The suggested use is twice a day after brushing, or after meals. Also note the availability of Life Extension Mouthwash, which contains folic acid and many other nutrients to maintain the health of the gums.
- MistORAL contains the following ingredients to support the health of the mouth:
- Coenzyme Q10-To promote the attachment of tissue to the tooth and reduce gum bleeding. Considered the number-one therapy to treat periodontal disease.
- Folic Acid-A specific anti-gingivitis therapy when applied topically, according to five published studies.
- Vitamin K1-A specific bleeding gum therapy. Dr. Jonathan Wright uses vitamin K1 as a major tooth preservative and gum-support facilitator.
- Propolis Extract-A natural antibiotic to reduce gum inflammation.
- Eucalyptol Oil-An antiseptic gum stimulant.
- Menthol-A cleanser and stimulant.
- Aloe Vera Extract-To sooth and heal sore, inflamed gums.
- Green Tea-Neutralizes free radicals in the mouth and protects against infections.
- Stevia/Rebaudiana-The new herbal natural non-caloric sweetener.
- Calcium Ascorbate-Improves blood circulation and strengthens the walls of the blood vessels.
- Citrus Seed Extract-A natural broad-spectrum anti-infective with important bioflavonoids.
- Myrrh Oil-Used as a mouthwash for a thousand years, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, relieves painful flare-ups. Tightens gums and prevents pyorrhea.
- Gotu-Kola Extract-Another natural antibiotic.
- Echinacea Extract-Anti-inflammatory, anti-infective and antiseptic.
- Calendula Extract-Heals inflammation and is a botanical antioxidant.
- Chamomile Extract-Eases sore teeth and gums, and is a mild antimicrobial.
- Chapparal Extract-Contains NGDA, a natural antibiotic.
- Lemon Grass Extract-A detoxifying natural astringent.
- Vitamin E-Prevents free radical damage to gum and mucus membrane caused by infection and abrasion.
- Parsley Extract-Freshens mouth.
- Pau D'Arco Extract-An anti-infective.
- Spearmint Oil-Cleanses and stimulates.
- Peppermint Oil-Cleanses and refreshes mouth.
- Citric Acid-Reforms detrimental periodontal exudation.
- Goldenseal Extract-Anti-infective agent.
- Red Thyme Oil-Anti-microbial action, fights infection.
- Tea Tree Oil-Powerful antiseptic.
- Cool Cayenne Extract-Enhances circulation to gums and functions as an herbal catalyst (makes them work better).
- Vitamin B6-Works with vitamin K1 to stop bleeding.