Hi! I'm Dr. Shanti Revotskie and I work in the Training Department at Life Extension.
Hormones are powerful messengers produced by a number of different glands. They circulate through your bloodstream and affect everything about you. Your thyroid gland sits in the lower portion of your neck and acts as the metabolic throttle for every cell in your body!
Let’s think of an engine in a finely tuned race car. When the car is tuned and running optimally you know it! You can feel it.
Well, your thyroid gland is like the engine in that race car. When it is running optimally you will know it, and when it’s not … you will know that too!
If your thyroid is running slow … then everything in your body slows down leading to symptoms such as weight gain, fatigue, low libido, depression, and constipation. Likewise if it’s running fast then every process in your body speeds up leading to weight loss, anxiety, insomnia, and increased heart rate.
Unfortunately, many people are not tested for thyroid dysfunction. They simply view the way they’re feeling as typical for their “age”! Fortunately, Life Extension believes that you can and should feel good at every age!
That’s why we offer this inexpensive thyroid panel – so you can KNOW if your thyroid is working like a finely tuned race car.
So … now that you understand that the thyroid is the equivalent of your metabolic gas pedal, let’s break things down a bit further to see how the whole process works.
Your thyroid produces two hormones known as T3 and T4.
T4 is produced in much larger quantities than T3. However, T3 is more potent than T4, which is why measuring T3 in addition to T4 is so important. T4 and T3 production are controlled by a hormone called TSH which is produced in the pituitary.
When the pituitary sees a lot of T4 and T3 in the bloodstream it stops TSH production signaling the thyroid to stop making thyroid hormones.
On the other hand … when T4 and T3 levels are low the pituitary sends TSH to the thyroid telling it to make more. So the pituitary and thyroid work in a loop and act as both the gas pedal and the brakes in your finely tuned body … through the use of TSH as an on/off switch.
You also need to remember that production of T3 is not limited to the thyroid … it is also converted from T4 by your liver.
Things really get interesting now! Both T3 and T4 circulate in your bloodstream in two forms:
- Bound to transport proteins
- Or not bound to transport proteins which we call “Free”
Although all thyroid hormones are important … ONLY the “Free” portion of T3 and T4 are available for use by your cells.
Such a delicate balance! No wonder a small change in thyroid hormones can drastically change the way we feel every day!
Now that we have covered the basics of how the thyroid functions, let’s look at the 4 components of this panel:
- First is TSH – the most basic screening test used to evaluate thyroid function. Remember your car – it is the on/off switch telling your thyroid when to manufacture hormones and when to stop.
- Next, look at the total amount of T4 your thyroid is producing … both bound and free, to see if your thyroid has a “production” problem.
- But remember, T4 bound to protein is not available to your cells! So this panel also includes a Free T4 test. This Free T4 value is very important since it is directly available for use by your cells.
- A key component is still missing … the Free T3 test. Since Free T3 is considered the most metabolically active form of thyroid hormones; its value gives you a view of your overall hormonal balance. It is an especially valuable test if your thyroid is working in overdrive.
We have covered a lot of information so far, and you’re doing great …
But let’s quickly review what this thyroid panel evaluates:
- TSH - The on/off switch for thyroid hormone production.
- T4 - How effectively our thyroid is producing hormones – its “function”.
- PLUS Free T3 and Free T4 - how much thyroid hormone is immediately available for use by your cells.
Four Tests … at a phenomenally low price to evaluate your thyroid gland!
But what if you already know you have thyroid problems and are currently on thyroid medication?
Well, this panel is still perfect for you! It measures everything your doctor needs to see if your thyroid hormone replacement therapy is working!
What could be easier or smarter?
And another bonus … when ordered through Life Extension, the test results are sent directly to you and can be reviewed with one of our Health Advisors. They will arm you with the information necessary to fully understand your results, PLUS you will know how to have a meaningful discussion with your own doctor.
We urge you to take advantage of this phenomenal value and order your Thyroid Panel today!