Life Extension Update Exclusive
Diabetes lowers life expectancy by seven to eight years
The June 11, 2007 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine published the results of a study by researchers in the Netherlands, England, and the United States that having diabetes decreases the life expectancy of individuals over the age of 50 by an average of 7.5 years for men, and 8.2 years for women, compared to nondiabetics.
For the current investigation, Oscar H. Franco, MD, DSc, PhD, of University Medical Center Rotterdam in the Netherlands, and his associates used data from the Framingham Heart Study, which recruited 5,209 men and women between 1948 and 1951, and has examined them biannually for more than 46 years.
The researchers found that diabetics tended to be older, male, less likely to smoke, and more likely to have a family history of the disease. Compared to nondiabetics, men with diabetes had 2.4 times the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and 1.7 times the risk of dying from it, while female diabetics had 2.5 times the risk of cardiovascular disease and 2.2 times the risk of dying of the disease.
For men and women aged 50 and older, having diabetes reduced life expectancy by an average of 7.5 and 8.2 years less than nondiabetics. Life expectancy free from cardiovascular disease was further reduced in both male and female diabetics.
“These findings underscore the importance of diabetes prevention for the promotion of healthy aging,” the authors write. “Toward this end, it is essential to implement global strategies to change the current ‘Western’ lifestyle and to promote the adoption of physical activity and healthy diets.”
They conclude, “Prevention of diabetes is a fundamental task facing today’s society, with the aim to achieve populations living longer and healthier lives.”
A new approach to diabetes recognition and treatment is needed because the conventional wisdom has failed us. America is in the midst of a diabetes epidemic. Over the past 20 years, the number of adults diagnosed with diabetes has more than doubled, and children are being diagnosed with diabetes in alarming numbers. Diabetes has rapidly emerged as a leading culprit in the epidemic of heart disease that is sweeping the country, and it is a leading cause of amputation and blindness among adults.
As a powerful antioxidant, lipoic acid positively affects important aspects of diabetes, including blood sugar control and the development of long-term complications such as disease of the heart, kidneys, and small blood vessels (Jacob S et al 1995, 1999; Kawabata T et al 1994; Melhem MF et al 2002; Nagamatsu M et al 1995; Song KH et al 2005; Suzuki YJ et al 1992).
Lipoic acid plays a role in preventing diabetes by reducing fat accumulation. In animal studies, lipoic acid reduced body weight, protected pancreatic beta cells from destruction, and reduced triglyceride accumulation in skeletal muscle and pancreatic islets (Doggrell SA 2004; Song KH et al 2005).
Lipoic acid has been approved for the prevention and treatment of diabetic neuropathy in Germany for nearly 30 years. Intravenous and oral lipoic acid reduces symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy (Ametov AS et al 2003).
Enhanced Cinnulin PF® with Glucose Management Proprietary Blend
High blood sugar is implicated in the development of numerous health problems. New studies reveal that even active, health-conscious adults can experience higher than desired blood sugar levels as they age. In addition to a proper diet and regular exercise, certain minerals and plant-based nutrients can help support healthy blood sugar levels in aging adults.
Enhanced Cinnulin PF® with Glucose Management Proprietary Blend combines concentrated amounts of the following bioactive compounds in one convenient formula:
- Cinnulin PF® is a patented, water-soluble blend containing standardized amounts of bioactive polyphenol polymers from cinnamon. These polymers have been shown to help cells to utilize insulin normally. In addition to supporting healthy glucose metabolism, polyphenol polymers found in Cinnulin PF® have been shown to support levels of lipids such as triglycerides, total cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) that are already within normal ranges.
- Chromium is a critical cofactor for glucose control, helping to transport blood sugar (glucose) into cells, and thereby supporting already-normal insulin action. Chromium 454™ is a new, highly bioavailable, water-soluble form of chromium that allows for enhanced absorption and utilization of this critical mineral.
The formula's Glucose Management Proprietary Blend offers standardized concentrations of plant extracts that have been shown to support glucose metabolism.
R-dihydro Lipoic Acid capsules
When alpha lipoic acid is ingested, it is first converted to its reduced form, R-dihydro-lipoic acid, where the main action of lipoic acid is initiated. R-dihydro-lipoic acid is the reduced (or active) form of R-lipoic acid. R-dihydro-lipoic acid produces the majority of the results attributed to R-lipoic acid and alpha lipoic acid. By consuming R-dihydro-lipoic acid, you are obtaining the form of R-lipoic acid that is immediately available to cells.
Life Extension Vacations
Inaugural Life Extension Cruise
Cruise the Western Caribbean and learn insider secrets to a significantly extended life span and vibrant health! Join us for the inaugural Life Extension “Fountain of Life” Cruise on October 27, 2007 for a week of fun-filled activities and the opportunity to rub elbows with fellow life extensionists aboard Norwegian Cruise Line’s luxurious Norwegian Sun.
Enjoy additional incentives such as:
- Shipboard credit of $50 per stateroom
- 10% discount on all onboard Life Extension product orders
- Incentives for renewing your membership onboard
- Contests and drawings for free Life Extension Gift Cards and gift baskets!
You’ll want to be part of this life-changing cruise — do it for fun, do it for life!
- Welcome aboard cocktail reception
- Presentations highlighting the latest in integrative therapies and antiaging research
- Product previews on new cutting-edge antiaging products
- One-on-one advisor appointments
- And so much more to help you attain optimal health
- Ship amenities such as Freestyle Cruising® at top-notch restaurants and exciting excursions: swim with dolphins, tour ancient ruins and more!
Be a part of Life Extension history! Hurry, space is limited on a first come, first serve basis.
Book by July 1, 2007, and receive an onboard coupon booklet valued at $300.