Treatment for depression is usually multifaceted, and there is no doubt that nutrition plays an important role. Research has shown that the body chemistry of depressed people is altered in various ways and that deficiencies in neurotransmitters, hormonal imbalances, and other nutritional deficits can contribute to clinical depression. Also, many people with depression do not eat enough, overeat, or eat nonnutritious foods. New research has also connected depression to inflammation and oxidative stress, which are both appropriately managed with nutritional supplements.
The following dietary supplements have been shown to help restore neurotransmitter levels and alleviate depression:
- B vitamins—A full complement of B vitamins (including at least 1000 micrograms (mcg) vitamin B12, 250 milligrams (mg) vitamin B6, and 800 mcg of folic acid daily
- Zinc—15 to 30 mg daily
- TMG—2 to 4 grams (g) daily
- Cytidine diphosphate choline—250 to 500 mg daily (alternatively, 1 to 3 teaspoons liquid choline chloride mixed with 2 ounces juice daily, 1 tablespoon pure lecithin granules daily, or 250 mg glyceryl phosphoryl choline daily)
- Micronized creatine—500 mg (in capsule form) four to eight times daily
- N-acetylcysteine—600 mg (in capsule form) one to two times daily on an empty stomach
- Vitamin C—1 to 3 g daily
- Vitamin E—400 International Units (IU) daily, with 200 mg gamma tocopherol
- EPA/DHA—1400 mg EPA and 1000 mg DHA daily
- SAMe—400 to 1200 mg daily without food
- St. John’s wort—300 to 900 mg daily
- Ginkgo biloba—120 mg daily
- L-phenylalanine—500 to 1000 mg early in the day
- Tyrosine—500 to 1000 mg daily
- Tryptophan—500 to 1000 mg once or twice daily on an empty stomach
- DHEA—15 to 75 mg daily, followed by blood testing in three to six weeks to make sure optimal levels are maintained
In addition, hormone therapy may be necessary to balance levels of important hormones, including pregnenolone, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.
Caribbean Winter Vacation for Life Extension® members
A beautiful 5-star luxury Caribbean resort is waiting for you. Spectacular oceanfront view, large pools, complimentary events, and more provide the perfect paradise for relaxation and rejuvenation.
US $32* per person, per night in a Luxury Villa (Based on six occupancy)
US $38* per person, per night in a Suite (Based on quadruple occupancy)
US $57* per person, per night in a Jr. Suite (Based on double occupancy)
Call the reservations center now:
Toll free USA 1-888-215-4402
Daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST
*Taxes are not included. Subject to availability.
Copyright 2009 Royal Resorts Caribbean. All rights reserved.
*LEVacations is an independent company that offers travel services
(see www.lef.org/rewards) to Life Extension members.