Complementary Alternative Cancer Therapies
- What Are Complementary Alternative Therapies?
- Cancer Patient Nutrition: The Use of Dietary Supplements/Antioxidants During Conventional Treatment
- Physical and Psychological Supportive Cam Therapies
- The Importance of Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
- Natural Strategies For Boosting Resistance to Cancer
The Need for Complementary Alternative Cancer Therapies
Mainstream medical treatment of cancer revolves around surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy, used either alone or in combination (Isobe T et al 2005; Ostoros G et al 2005). Chemotherapy and radiation therapy cannot discriminate between cancer cells and healthy cells; thus, they damage both types of cells and cause serious and often debilitating side effects, frequently forcing patients to abandon treatment (Ettinger DS 2005; Giraud P et al 2004; Munden RF et al 2005). Therefore, it is not surprising that many cancer patients now opt to complement conventional treatments with alternative therapies that may not only temper the adverse side effects of conventional cancer therapy, but also improve its effectiveness via independent anti-cancer effects.