Life Extension Suggestions
A hormone replacement regimen should start with a comprehensive female hormone profile blood test and a consultation with a qualified, knowledgeable physician. Once a baseline hormone profile is established, periodic blood testing is recommended to monitor hormone levels. Women interested in hormone blood testing can call 1-800-226-2370 or visit Life Extension’s Blood Testing and Laboratory Services online.
Life Extension recommends that women strive for the following optimal hormone levels.
|DHEA-s:||275 - 400 µg/dL|
|Total estrogen:||Day 01 – 10: 61 – 394 pg/mL|
Day 11 – 20: 122 – 437 pg/mL
Day 21 – 30: 156 – 350 pg/mL
Menopause & post-menopausal: 75 – 200 pg/mL
Lowest dose to ameliorate symptoms: 30-50 pg/mL
Typical replacement such as with a Bi-Est cream/gel: 80-100 pg/mL
Higher end replacement/ restoration of menstrual cycle: 90-211 pg/mL
|Progesterone:||18 -- 28 ng/mL (pre-menopause); |
2 -- 6 ng/mL, but up to 15 for some women, especially if they are treated with higher doses of estrogen replacement (menopause & post-menopause)
|Total testosterone:||35 -- 45 ng/dL|
|Free testosterone:||1 – 2.2 pg/mL |
Nutrients to Support Hormonal Balance and Healthy Hormonal Metabolism
- Genistein: 25 – 75 mg daily
- Daidzein: 20 – 50 mg daily
- Black cohosh; standardized extract: 40 – 80 mg daily
- Pomegranate; standardized extract: 400 – 800 mg daily
- Green tea; standardized extract: 725 – 1450 mg daily
- Vitex; standardized extract: 20 – 40 mg daily
- Broccoli; standardized extract: 400 – 800 mg daily
- Indole-3-carbinol (I3C): 80 – 160 mg daily
- 3,3’-Diindolylmethane (DIM): 14 – 28 mg daily
- Licorice root extract: 25 – 50 mg daily
- Lignan extract (flax or Norway spruce): 25 – 50 mg daily
- Vitamin D3: 5000 – 8000 IU daily
- Omega-3 fatty acids (from fish): 2000 – 6000 mg daily
- Calcium D-glucarate: 200 – 600 mg daily
- DHEA: 15 – 50 mg daily, followed by blood tests in 3-6 weeks; consider starting at a lower dose and increase as indicated. For additional information on DHEA, refer to the DHEA Restoration Therapy protocol.
- Pregnenolone: 50 – 100 mg daily (depending on blood test results)
- Progesterone cream: Per label directions
In addition, the following blood testing resources may be helpful:
Disclaimer and Safety Information
This information (and any accompanying material) is not intended to replace the attention or advice of a physician or other qualified health care professional. Anyone who wishes to embark on any dietary, drug, exercise, or other lifestyle change intended to prevent or treat a specific disease or condition should first consult with and seek clearance from a physician or other qualified health care professional. Pregnant women in particular should seek the advice of a physician before using any protocol listed on this website. The protocols described on this website are for adults only, unless otherwise specified. Product labels may contain important safety information and the most recent product information provided by the product manufacturers should be carefully reviewed prior to use to verify the dose, administration, and contraindications. National, state, and local laws may vary regarding the use and application of many of the treatments discussed. The reader assumes the risk of any injuries. The authors and publishers, their affiliates and assigns are not liable for any injury and/or damage to persons arising from this protocol and expressly disclaim responsibility for any adverse effects resulting from the use of the information container herein.
The protocols raise many issues that are subject to change as new data emerge. None of our suggested protocol regimens can guarantee health benefits. The publisher has not performed independent verification of the data contained herein, and expressly disclaim responsibility for any error in literature.