Life Extension Suggestions
- Folate/folic acid, with several options:
- 5-MTHF/L-methylfolate (active folate): 800 – 1000 mcg daily; certain individuals may require up to 5 mg daily (under medical supervision). This is the best choice for those with higher homocysteine levels, those with the MTHFR 677TT genotype, and those who are not getting their homocysteine levels low enough with regular folic acid.
- Natural folate: 800 – 1600 mcg. This is the form that is found naturally in food.
- Folic acid: 1 – 2 mg. This is another option. However, if a 2 mg dose does not provide benefit then consider using the active folate (5-MTHF) form instead.
- N-acetylcysteine (NAC): 600 – 1800 mg daily
- SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine): 400 mg two to four times daily
- Taurine: 1000 – 3000 mg daily
- TMG (trimethylglycine): 2000 – 6000 mg daily
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin): 1 – 2 mg daily
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 10 – 100 mg daily
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal-5’-phosphate): 100 – 200 mg daily
- Zinc (as OptiZinc®): 30 – 60 mg daily
- Micronized creatine: 500 mg (in capsule form) four to eight times daily
- CDP Choline: 250 – 500 mg daily.
In addition, the following blood testing resources may be helpful: