Life Extension Suggestions
- Vitamin C: 5000 – 20 000 mg daily in divided doses to bowel tolerance
- Andrographis paniculata extract: 25 mg daily (increase up to 150 mg as needed)
- Beta-glucan: 100 mg daily (increase up to 600 mg as needed)
- Zinc Lozenges: Take two zinc lozenges (13 – 24 mg of zinc in each lozenge) immediately and again every 2 – 3 hours for the first day or two. Then slowly reduce the dose until symptoms dissipate.
- Vitamin D: If you do not already maintain a blood level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D over 50 ng/mL, then take 50 000 International Units (IU) of vitamin D the first day and continue for 3 more days. Slowly reduce the dose to around 5000 IU of vitamin D daily. If you already take around 5000 IU of vitamin D daily, then you probably do not need to increase your intake.
- Vitamin E: 400 IU daily with at least 200 mg gamma tocopherol
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in the dose of 200 – 400 mg early in the day. This is much higher than normal, but DHEA has shown some unique benefits in boosting one’s ability to mount a stronger immune response and also protect against dangerous inflammatory cytokine responses that sometimes occur in response to viral infections.
- Melatonin: 3 – 50 mg at bedtime
- Elderberry: 2400 – 4800 mg daily or 1 – 4 tablespoons daily
- Lactoferrin: 1200 mg daily
- High-Allicin garlic: 9000 – 18 000 mg daily
- Reishi mushroom (standardized extract from fruiting body and spore): 1130 mg daily
- Black cumin seed oil: 1000 mg daily
- Probiotics: Per label instructions
- Green tea extract (standardized to 98% polyphenols): 725 – 1450 mg daily
- Selenium: 200 – 400 mcg daily
Over-The-Counter Drug Support
- Cimetidine: Take 800 – 1200 mg daily in divided doses. Cimetidine is a heartburn drug that has potent immune-enhancing properties. (It is sold in pharmacies over-the-counter.)
In addition, the following blood tests may be helpful: