240 capsules: Jarrow Formulas, Item# 03157
|Units||Non-Members||Members (Not a Member?)|
Jarrow FORMULAS® Glucosamine + Chondroitin + MSM provides efficacious quantities of glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate and MSM, combined with vitamin C and manganese for optimizing joint health. Glucosamine + Chondroitin + MSM Combination provides a sodium-free form of glucosamine sulfate stabilized with only potassium chloride (KCl).
A naturally occurring amino sugar synthesized in the body from L-glutamine and glucose, glucosamine stimulates the manufacture of glycosaminoglycans, important components of the cartilage needed for healthy joints.1,2 Aging people seem to lose their ability to produce a sufficient amount of glucosamine, and no food sources are available. Sources of glucosamine from the exoskeleton of certain shellfish are available as glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride, and N-acetyl-glucosamine. The sulfated form may most effectively incorporate sulfur into the cartilage.3,4
Glycosaminoglycans and glycoproteins allow cells in tissues to hold together. They are necessary for the construction and maintenance of virtually all connective tissues and lubricating fluids in the body.5,6 In particular, a combination of N-acetyl-glucosamine bound to glucuronic acid, is polymerized to make the joint lubricant, hyaluronic acid.
Chondroitin sulfates provide the structural components of joint cartilage and facilitate the entry of glucosamine into joints. Chondroitin sulfates also inhibit free radical enzymes. Like glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate attracts water into the cartilage matrix and helps stimulate the production of cartilage.
Recent research suggests that chondroitin in combination with glucosamine sulfate has a positive effect on subchondral bone structural changes and may help augment repair processes following accessory joint tissue injury.7-9 These important joint health agents may help maintain healthy joint structure and function, and reduce joint discomfort and stiffness.7-11
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a sulfur-containing molecule found in various plants and some body tissues. MSM is a vital building block of joints, cartilage, skin, hair and nails. It is a natural and efficient source of the sulfur that is used by many of the body’s structural molecules.12-14 Peer-reviewed clinical research in the U.S. has shown MSM is safe and effective in increasing joint comfort and supporting a normal range of motion.15-19
1. Eksp Klin Farmakol. 2002 Nov-Dec;65(6):67-9.
2. Fortschr Med. 1980 Jun 5;98(21):801-6.
3. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2003 Jun;11(6):424-32.
4. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1998 Nov;6(6):427-34.
5. Perit Dial Int. 2007 Jun;27 Suppl 2:S104-9.
6. Perit Dial Int. 2007 Jul-Aug;27(4):375-90.
7. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9(6):R117.
8. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2007 Jun;4(2):219-24.
9. N Engl J Med. 2006 Feb 23;354(8):795-808.
10. Rheumatol Int. 2007 Jan;27(3):213-8.
11. Arthritis Rheum. 2007 Feb;56(2):555-67.
12. Altern Med Rev. 2003 Nov;8(4):438-41.
13. J Agric Food Chem. 1981 Sep-Oct;29(5):1089-91.
14. J Altern Complement Med. 2002 Apr;8(2):167-73.
15. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2006;14:286-94.
16. Int J Anti-Aging Med 1998;1(1):50
17. Clin Drug Invest 2004; 24:353-63.
18. Iran J Pharmacol Ther 2004;3:61-5.
19. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology 69th Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California, April 21-26, 1985:Abstract 692.
|Dosage and Use|
Do not use if allergic to shellfish.