400 mg 30 tablets: Jarrow Formulas, Item# 13055
|Units||Non-Members||Members (Not a Member?)|
Jarrow FORMULAS® stabilized denosylmethionine (SAMe) 400 provides 400 milligrams SAMe (net yield) from 800 mg of SAMe tosylate disulfate. SAMe 400 is manufactured under low temperature and low humidity and is enteric-coated to ensure a biologically active product.
Found in all living cells, SAMe is a metabolite of the essential amino acid methionine. SAMe is a chiral molecule and consists of two forms: (S,S) SAMe and (R,S) SAMe. The biologically active form is the (S,S) structure, while the (R,S) structure is biologically inactive. Jarrow FORMULAS® SAMe is made by microbiological fermentation and then specially processed without solvents to preserve 68-80% (S,S) SAMe.
SAMe is used by the body in three important pathways:
SAMe occurs naturally in the body; it is concentrated in the liver and brain and is a major methyl donor in the synthesis of hormones, nucleic acids, proteins, and phospholipids, catecholamines, and other neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin. SAMe is required for the synthesis of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin, and also plays a role in other intracellular metabolic pathways.9 SAMe facilitates glutathione usage and maintains acetylcholine levels, which help enhance or maintain cognitive function and attenuate or prevent aggression of aging and neurodegeneration.
SAMe levels may become depleted from sickness and age. Supplementation with the cofactors folate, trimethylglycine (TMG or betaine), vitamins B6 and B12, together with SAMe appears to be an effective method to overcome this deficiency. There is evidence that SAMe helps to synthesize phosphatidylcholine, which keeps cell membranes fluid, and is used in the brain to make the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.1,2,4,7- 8,10
In 2002, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services conducted a meticulous evaluation of SAMe. Its findings show the efficacy of SAMe in helping maintain stable mood and joint function, without any side effects.11 Since aging people often suffer joint discomfort and immobilization, SAMe addresses multiple problems people face as they grow older.3,12-17 In addition, SAMe has multi-modal mechanisms of action that are used throughout the body, and especially in the liver, which help maintain liver health. SAMe facilitates healthy methylation enzymatic processes and boosts hepatic levels of the critical antioxidant glutathione. When liver function is compromised, glutathione is depleted, which leads to free radical damage.
1. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2001 Sep;70(1):105-14.
2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1983 Nov 23;735(3):367-79.
3. Neuroreport. 2001 Dec 21;12(18):3939-42.
4. Drugs. 1994 Aug;48(2):137-52.
5. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl. 1994;154:19-26.
6. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1989 May;24(4):407-15.
7. Dig Dis Sci. 1998 Oct;43(10):2211-22.
8. Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol. 1992 Jul-Sep;38(3):145-51.
9. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):1158S-61S
10. Mech Ageing Dev. 1984 Aug;26(2-3):149-64.
11. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment: Number 64 S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine for Treatment of Depression, Osteoarthritis, and Liver Disease http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/samesum.htm
12. Br J Pharmacol. 1999 Jun;127(3):645-54.
13. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2002 Jun;40(6):407-10.
14. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2001 Sep;17(9):455-60.
15. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):1151S-1157S.
16. Br J Rheumatol. 1997 Jan;36(1):27-31.
17. Rev Clin Esp. 1990 Jun;187(2):74-8.
This product complies with the proposed USP Monograph for SAM-e.
|Dosage and Use|
Individuals using prescribed medications such as antidepressants, including Selective Serotonin Re-Uptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and MAO Inhibitors should consult a physician before using. Individuals with Parkinson's disease, bi-polar disorder or manic depression should not use SAM-e. Store in a cool, dry place.
Keep out of the reach of children.